Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removed and reinstalled relay board-now no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 08:53 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default removed and reinstalled relay board-now no start

And this thing is trying my patience severely!
I have been working through a random stalling problem on the D2, where it would run for some random length of time and then stall, and would start again after a short rest. So far I have replaced the CKP, fuel pump, swapped relays, and during my check of the relays I found that the relay box was full of coolant from getting doused during a big burp from the tank. It was actually making a buzzy kind of sound even with the engine off. I pulled the box out, split it, and cleaned it out with contact cleaner, pulled the replays from their shells and sprayed them out too. Put it all back together, reinstalled and now I have no start and no spark (I did have spark as verified by a timing light before). The connectors above and below have been double checked. Fuses and relays in the proper places.
I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. Of course I had unhooked both sides of the battery before removing the relay box. Have I somehow activated a theft deterrance?
One odd thing I noted-in the box there are terminals that are marked with symbols for the battery, alternator and a terminal for some engine management ( a pictogram of an engine with a spark through it) and I don't recall there being a wire connected to that terminal. Can somebody take a peek under the cover of that box to see if there is a wire connected there? I couldn't find a loose wire with a ring terminal to connect to it.
I was getting 0562 (low voltage) and 0340 (cam postion sensor) before, but didn't see any codes related to the CKP itself, when it would stall. Battery is at 12.68v.

Last edited by Gnomadf; 05-02-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

You are talking about the underhood fuse/relay box ? How did it get wet in there - was the cover off of it?