Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repainting Disco Roofttop

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:36 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting Disco Roofttop

I'm having my rooftop repainted. I'm thinking through everything that the body shop will need to do to paint the rooftop. Look at a previous thread from today on sunroofs leaking, should I have to worry about the sunroofs? Should have spare parts ready?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,499 Likes on 1,063 Posts

They are probably going to mask the black parts, doubt they will remove everything. If however they are going to remove rails and sunroofs, I would recommend repairing sunroof drains and recovering the headliner.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 PM
Mudding

Perfect. This is the answer I was looking for. The headliner was recently repaired.

What is entailed for repairing the sunroof drains? What material/parts should I buy?

Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Have you thought of doing a vinyl wrap instead?

Old 05-15-2018, 10:44 PM
Mudding

No. I rather just paint it and keep its original color.

I appreciate someone telling me what parts/materials I might need if the sunroofs end up coming out.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:47 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I believe you just need to inspect the drains/blow them out. If both sunroofs are operable then I don’t think there is anything really to look for.

I am going to repaint my roof in the future, and will probably not take the sunroofs out, because why risk it? They could break or not seal.

i know, not very helpful, but that is my two cents.

The following users liked this post:
Aj6543 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 04:03 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Aj6543
I'm having my rooftop repainted. I'm thinking through everything that the body shop will need to do to paint the rooftop. Look at a previous thread from today on sunroofs leaking, should I have to worry about the sunroofs? Should have spare parts ready?
All D2 sunroofs leak rainwater sooner or later. The greatest problem is the sealing between the metal roof shell and the perimeter seal on each roof. Secondly and not far behind is the drain cups in the sunroof frame. LR are well aware of this problem for many, many years and have even issued a technical bulletin about this problem. It's a time consuming fix which requires meticulous cleanliness and the following parts depending on whether you have one or two sunroofs:

For each sunroof:

Parts required:

1# Seal to the roof metal.
1# Seal for the sunroof glass.
1# Tube of marine grade silicon mastic.
1# Pack of epoxy filler for sealing the plastic drain cups to the frame.
2# Replacement drain to rubber hose spigots (if needed).

There are numerous vids online about this fix.

IMHO I would repair the sunroof(s) before you have the roof repainted.

PS: Once repaired it's a 'fix and forget them' for another 10-20 years.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=disco...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 05-16-2018 at 04:18 AM.
Aj6543 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Extinct
They are probably going to mask the black parts, doubt they will remove everything. If however they are going to remove rails and sunroofs, I would recommend repairing sunroof drains and recovering the headliner.
X1 ............. defo, before painting.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:09 PM
Mudding

Guys- The body shop says they will remove the headliner in order to remove the roof rack bars.

The previous owner fixed the headliner- but I am not sure if they touched the sunroofs. The sunroofs aren't leaking.

Is there anyway to know if the sunroof drain pipes were addressed? Should I just replace the drain pipes as preventative maintenance?

Old 05-18-2018, 03:25 PM

Hi Aj6543, I tried to send you a PM but it wouldn't go through.

It sounds like you have it under control. If the headliner needs recovering or replacement it sounds like the ideal time. In all honesty I would replace the sunroof seals whilst they respray the D2 roof, there are 2# seals to each sunroof. One between the roof and sunroof frame and one between the glass and sunroof frame. Be sure to use some good quality marine grade silicon mastic on the seal to the D2 roof. Check the drain cups on all sunroofs as they harden and leak around the perimeter and the plastic to rubber hose spigots break off easily. Rough the surface of the drain cups and apply 2 pack epoxy across them totally. Replace the spigots where necessary and epoxy them in well. Good luck, hope it works well.

Aj6543 (05-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Repainting Disco Roofttop