Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace air springs or convert to coil - 2001 disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:56 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace air springs or convert to coil - 2001 disco

howdy folks. my 2001 disco (75k) has been sagging for a while now. i'll go out in the morning and the back end will almost be sitting on the wheels. i'll start her up, the compressor will get the back end up, and i'm good to go for a bit. i can go probably 20 minutes before i notice that i'm not getting a smooth ride. if i stop for a while, the compressor will kick on and fill up the air springs (i assume).

now, i've seen a lot of talk about replacing air springs and i've also seen talk about converting to regular suspension. which is actually a better ride? and which is harder to do? i'm not currently off-roading, so i was planning on just getting the normal coil conversion kit.

any ideas or advice is appreciated. thanks!

david

Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: replace air springs or convert to coil - 2001 disco

Air ride is a smoother ride, but if you convert to springs you will never have this problem ever again, if you stay with the air ride in 60-70k you will have the same problem, unless the compresser gives out before then.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

E-mail me your tele nuimber and I'll be glad to help you work through this issue, shouldn't be that big a deal.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely switch to coils. I went with the OME medium duty and the ride is not harsher at all. It is true however, that I also went from 255/65-16 to 265/70-16, so the greater sidewall might have something to do with the fact that I don't feel that the ride got harsher.

Switching to coils was one of the most 'peace of mind' mods that I've done. So, unless you don't mind keeping a bottle of soapee water in the truck to spray the air bags and lines and don't mind spending time under the truck when the darn rear end is down again, which because of the unpredictability of the system could happen in the worst of times, like coming out of arestaurant, all dressed-upor in a very cold winter morning, hours away from home, then go ahead and spend money fixing it. But since you need to address the problem anyway which was my situation also, I'd do like I did, and take this opportunity to fix the problem once and for all.

But all in all, do what you think is best for you.

Darover

Old 03-08-2008, 10:56 AM
5th Gear

all,

thanks for all the advice.i am probably going with the coil conversion. it seems like there's just a lot to gowrong with the air sls, so i guessi'll go with the more reliable route. i would love to go ome, but i really don't do enough(any) off-roading (yet), to justify pulling the trigger on really nice suspension. but on the other hand, it's not really that more expensive for ome, but i heard you have to do replace all four corners...

disco mike,
i'll send the email right away.

thanks guys!

david

Old 03-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Unless you are rock crawling stock springs are just fine.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:01 PM
4wd Low
Default air bags take 20 minutes per side...

I found this great site that had step by step for Disco II air bag replacement. I like the air ride and I'm one of those folks that like's to "stock out" his cars and trucks.

Here's the link:http://www.clickstor.com/

It has great photos, list of tools and a link to some LIFETIME WARRANTY airbags for $142 each.

I'm getting a sag with a heavy load in the back so I'll be tackling this project soon.

Let you know how it goes...

I should also add the link for the airbags...this same supplier has the Disco II spring conversion kit for $269.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...id4_pid48.html

-djd

Last edited by DJDogbone; 03-01-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Are you bags actually leaking? The system won't sag from warn bags and is it on both side?

Old 03-01-2009, 03:02 PM
4wd Low
Default here's what's going on

I've had my Disco for about a year. I DJ at a night club and I load up my CD crates and my cd players and drive over. It DIDN'T used to do this...but in the last two weeks, when I load up and go inside, I come back out and the rear end has sagged. The first time it was just the driver's side.

This past week, I loaded up at the club, went inside and when I came out, the rear end had sagged again.

Do you think it could be something else? It appears to be happening on only one side though it was 3AM when I left the club and I think it might have been both sides.
I should mention mention that I have an HSE7 no ACE.

What do you think Mike?

Last edited by DJDogbone; 03-01-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Administrator

e-mail me your tele number and I'll call you.

Quick Reply: replace air springs or convert to coil - 2001 disco