Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing front hub Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing front hub Disco II

I recently purchased a 2004 Disco that was diagnosed by the dealership as having a bad hub. They quoted me 1 hour of shop time to replace which led me tobelieve that it is probably something that I can handle myself. I am sure someone here has done the job, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: replacing front hub Disco II

For 1 hours rate, $100 ish ? is it worth getting dirty ? Difficult choice imo and I like to work on my car.....

The problem is "if" you do it yourself, then you need a BIIIG torque wrench to re-torque the hub nut to a whopping 490 NM or 360lbs ft. You must also renew the hub nut as well.

Also, have they diagnosed the hub in researching the 3 amigos ? (ABS / TC / HDC) lights on ? if so you would need the codes cleared as well once its done, if they do it its all part of the job.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Three Wheeling

They did do this because in conjuction with researching the three amigos. They have cleared the lights, which have not came back on yet. I don't mind the hour of labor it is the 650 part cost vs the 200 it costs on Atlantic British. My brother has a huge torque wrench so would this be a take off the old put on the new part type of job?

Thanks again for the response!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

For me its very easy. I have done it about 10 times on my 03 due to a small leak coming from my hub that to i tried to seal with RTV. It takes me 15 min now..lol

Seriously though, just follow the rave manual and you're good to go. If you dont have the rave cd manual, PM me and i'll email you screen shots of the pages you need.

And like Urban Panzer said...make sure you re-torque it to spec!

The only other thing is that RAVE illustrates using a press to push the axle out of the hub. I didnt have a press so i used a sledge hammer and lightly tapped the axle out of the hub and all was good. Just make sure u have another person there. .... I held the hub vertically while my friend tapped the axle.

Also, when you pull the hub out...some axle fluid will drip out. After you're are done make sure you check your fluid level.

before i forget, MAKE SURE YOUR RE-TORQUE EVERYTHING to spec. My last time doing it I didnt tighten the lower caliper bolt enough and while driving the bolt committed suicide and my brake caliper was jumping up and down. I had to order another bolt from AB... =)

Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling

The size of your brother's tool aside, make sure that you get it done right, whether you do it or the dealer does it. UP is correct in my opinion. I personally would see if they'll do the same labor if you provide the part. $600 does seem a little steep to me, but on AB, it's actually $399.95. Not sure what hub you were looking at before. Guess in the end, it all comes down to whether or not you are comfortable doing this yourself. Remember, this is what your wheel and brake assembly attaches to, so if it fails, bad news.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You first need to make sure your need a hub, wait for the code to reappear, chances are it may not. So you know, http://www.roverlandparts.com/hubs.aspx is the only place thats sells used hubs for $200, new ones can be found at Rover Connection for $380 for an after market one and OEM's for $80 more.
Do it yourself they are easy to do and you will learn more about your truck.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whoa, 360 ft/lbs. is a lot of torque for a nut. Does the front axle nuts have that stupid indent where you have to crimp the nut like on the rear? I can not understand why they didnt use a castle nut with a cotter pin.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Why did Rover do 99% of the things it did?????????????????

Old 01-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks all, after further review I have ordered the part from BA and will be attempting the job myself. I'll be sure to let everyone know how well it went.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

If your hub assembly needs replacing will the amigos come on for sure? I've gotta wobble on my driver side front, After checking everything I can only come up with "wheel bearing" but I do not have the amigos.
Is there a chance my hub needs replacing but no amigos?

Quick Reply: replacing front hub Disco II