Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing front and rear window regulators...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing front and rear window regulators...

Is replacing the window regulators on an 03 DII a difficult process? I've never done this before. My front passenger window makes a loud cracking noise and vibrates quite a bit when I roll it down or up. My rear passenger window will not roll back up. It's stuck in the down position. I hear a clicking noise when I hit both the main control in the front as well as the control on the door and that's about it. The fuse looks good so I'm assuming both regulators have gone bad. The dealer as well as some independent Rover shops want quite a bit to do the job. At least $350 a piece plus tax. I can get the parts I need from a Rover parts shop for $255 plus shipping. That includes both regulators and some door panel clips. Sounds like I need to man up and do the work myself. Just don't know how involved this is but if I can save that much money, it's worth a shot.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Window regulators are VERY easy to replace.

Taking the door panels off is the biggest pain of the whole process but not hard.

Remove all the screws holding the door handle and storage bin first.

Carefully pry the door panel off at the point where each clip connects to the door.

Peel the pastic sheeting carefully away starting at the bottom and only up the door enough to get at the regulator bolts.

Have some blue painters tape available to hold the windows up in the frame while working.

Basically just follow the instructions in the RAVE manual and you will be fine.

One note, I replaced one of my front regulators with a brand new one and found out after putting it all together that the motor was the actual part that failed.

I would hear it run but the gears inside were stripped.

Confirm that the motor will in fact raise and lower the window after you replace the regulator BEFORE you button everything up!

Look aroung on ebay for the new regulators too, I think you can get better pricing than what was quoted to you.

Last edited by microbc; 02-19-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you for the explaination and the tip on the motor.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Three Wheeling

Should I consider buying used parts or stick with new? Used parts are cheaper but I'd hate to install them only to have them fail a few months later.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

thats alway the question new or old, check with Paul Grant he is a fair guy with fair prices.
the price difference may make up your mind for you.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the links guys. These prices are even a little less than the place I was going to go with. What are your thoughts on after market vs. genuine parts?

Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

The genuine ones break all the time, the aftermarkets may as well. If I recall correctly there's a little plastic wheel that breaks, apparently there's a place that sells a brass version but I don't recall where.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife's 2005 New Beetle Convertible goes through them like candy. Does not matter if they are OEM or After Market. The last 4 I've bought After Market because they are about $200 less/ea. Done them 6 times now!!!! 3 per side on rear. Should have been a recall item.

Quick Reply: Replacing front and rear window regulators...