Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing plugs and wires tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing plugs and wires tomorrow

Hello everyone,

My new champion oem plugs will be here tomorrow along with a set of wires. I have the diagram on the cylinder order and also the order on the coil. I do not have secondary air so there appears to be a lot of room to change wires without removing the Intake Plenum.

I have the following specific questions I am hoping someone can help me with or point me in the right direction.

1. Specific instructions on removing the Intake Plenum. Every tutorial I find about wires etc etc just says removing this is easy. This tells me nothing, I have never removed one and would like step by step instructions on just removing the plenum.
2. By removing the negative lead on the battery will this suffice if I end up having to replace my coil pack? or should battery be removed entirely.
3. Will removing the negative lead on the battery suffice for resetting the codes after I have done the work, or does the positive lead need to come off also. I will not have access to a computer to reset codes after I do the work.
4. If plugs, wires and possibly a coil pack does not fix the cylinder 2 and 3 misfire (they are both on same coil) what else should I be looking at?
5. Mileage is down to 7 miles per gallon of 93 octane, are the chances of this being caused by the misfire greater than the chances of it being o2 sensors? Or could it be because I have had no choice but to drive it with the misfire have caused problems with o2 sensors? At the last reading of the faults there were no o2 sensor faults.
6. If the misfire goes away after the wires, plugs, and possibly the coil pack replacement but the mileage is still horrible, it will be awhile before I can afford o2 sensors. Will I cause any furthur problems other than bad mileage until I can afford o2 sensors?

Info on vehicle: 2000 Land Rover Discovery series II, 4.0 bosch Engine.
over 127,000 miles on engine. This is my only vehicle, can not afford to have it fixed, can barely afford the simple parts to fix it, I have no choice but to drive it as I have no other way to get to work. Vehicle is paid for, and I can not afford to buy, rent, lease etc etc another vehicle. I only use 93 octane.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is no need to dis connect the battery when doing a tune up.
Whenever you do unhook the battery unhook the positive cable not the negative.
No unhooking the battery will NOT clear the codes.
Bad MPG can be caused by a serious need of a tune up, bad O2's, a clogged air filter or low tire PSI.
There is a write up on how to do the tune up on your truck in the sticky section.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With patience you can replace the wires on a DII without removing the Plenum. I have done it and I have big hands.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Drifting

The only reason I would like to know about removing the plenum is in case I need to replace the coil.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Whenever you do unhook the battery unhook the positive cable not the negative.
For safety reasons, a battery's earth should always be disconnected first.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I can walk you thru the install without pulling the manifold.
What brand of wires are you installing?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Drifting

I am installing 8mm magnecor, but unfortunately I have run into a problem. On the way to pick up parts today my tyre blew out on the passenger front. It has been towed by a friend with a roll back to my work place, and my tyre won't be here until thursday at the earliest. It should be covered by the warranty as it is a 60,000 mile tyre with only 15,000 or so miles on them. Unfortunately the way it works is after I remove the wheel and tyre, and take it into the Cooper dealer they have to return the old tyre to Cooper directly and the will determine if it is a warranty issue. The entire outer sidewall came off, like someone took a hot knife and just sliced it all the way around. I was doing 50 mph when it happened, vehicle jerked to the right and then steam came up from passenger front. Once I get the tyre taken care of I will be back to let you guys know when I am going to start my tune up.
Sucks I don't have a spare as the spare tyre and wheel had to be used to replace a wheel and tyre that was destroyed thanks to road debris on a foggy night. I tell you if it's not one thing it's another.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh men, thats scary.. glad you got it under control, hope cooper takes care of this, not cool for cooper to make you wait on the warranty of the tire.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 AM
1st Gear

Hello. This is a very nice post. All i wantto say is that I love Land Rover. Nothing Else matters.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by antichrist
For safety reasons, a battery's earth should always be disconnected first.
That's what I was always taught and what the RAVE manual says in every case the battery is to be disconnected

Quick Reply: Replacing plugs and wires tomorrow