Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing PSP, Noticed coolant never staying full at cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing PSP, Noticed coolant never staying full at cold

Hey Guys my Disco II's psp is going to get replaced, but Ive also noticed my coolant never stays full, I havent seen any leaks on the ground..I even placed a full sheet of poster board on the ground to help me see any drips an no leaks there, im suspecting a head gasket..also there is no coolant smell from the exhaust after a new start in the morning and running untill it reachs temp, and it doesnt run hot, and there is no suspect of coolant smell or leaky heater core.

Since im going to take the psp off, im thinking to just go ahead and to head gasket and instead of using new strech bolts, install a stud kit, plugs, coil packs, plug wires, water pump, valve cover gaskets and exhaust gasket, themostat and have i missed something, what do you guys think...oh yea, never done a head gasket job..lol

Old 07-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I suspect a bad head gasket, internal leak, but small.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:02 PM
4wd Low

if it is a internal leak, do u think just replacing the head gasket or will there be something more serious?? Also I have the rave manual, but is there any post or a website that gives a good detailed walk through of a head gasket job?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

No, 95% of the time its just a blown headgasket.
Now if you overheat it then you could be looking at a warped head or 2 or a dropped cylinder liner. (all aluminum engine and all)

As for a good "how to", no, I cant help you there.
Just take lots of pics and put things back where they came from, including lifters and in the same direction they were originally facing.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:29 PM
4wd Low

OK sweet Spike thanks alot well I just parked the Rover, and setting aside my ****** project, and im going to start taking everything off and cataloging it, getting it prepped for the new head gasket.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Good luck with it, it should only take a long weekend to do.
Start Fri after work and your driving it back to work on Mon, providing you have all the tools and parts and nothing else needs to be done on course.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:49 PM
4wd Low

well Im not going to drive it till its fixed, I have a motorcycle and a 2000 ford fukus..lol so shes going to be put up. All I have to do is get a case of miller lite, and im off work every Sat, Sun and monday so think i can knock it out..now I just need a few hot gals around to cheer me on..lol

Old 07-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

Make sure you take LOTS of pics of the hot girls and post them for the rest of us.
We wont care about the truck, just the girls. lol

Old 07-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ditto

Originally Posted by Spike555
Make sure you take LOTS of pics of the hot girls and post them for the rest of us.
We wont care about the truck, just the girls. lol

ditto on the hot chicks...... if you need a source for better head gaskets and head studs let me know and i will post the info for you. Remember that a thought on blocks cracking is that the head bolts go to deep and being stronger than the block, they are thought to actually pull a crack into the block... i have zero faith in the ones sold by LR, BA, and AB ....

Old 07-11-2010, 06:12 PM
4wd Low

yea please post the source on the better head gaskets, any piece, part, or mod that can make my rover better and stronger.. " F " factory replacements..lol and don't worry Ill share the hotchics..lol

Quick Reply: Replacing PSP, Noticed coolant never staying full at cold