Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the Radio/Stereo in 2003 Discovery SE

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the Radio/Stereo in 2003 Discovery SE

OK: I want to upgrade the stereo from the factory unit for my Discovery SE (multiple speakers, disc changer under passenger seat) to a unit that will have Sirius Radio and IPOD direct hookup (ipod in the glove box, etc)
1) Can I do this with the current multiple speaker setup?
2) Do I need an external amp if I want to use the current speaker set-up?
3) I'm thinking any discount electronics store (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc) should be able to replace the unit....is this a problem, with it being a Land Rover and having the multiple speaker setup?
4) Any suggestions on a stereo make or model that has worked for any of you?
I love the speakers, but hate the current radio/CD changer. A single CD player with Ipod direct, and Sirius satellite will do it for me. (I hate not being able to put in a new CD without pulling over and getting into the CD changer)
By the way, I'm NOT doing this job myself!
Thanks all!
KL

Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Replacing the Radio/Stereo in 2003 Discovery SE

The PO of my '01 had XM and the CD changer with the stock head unit. I don't remember how the XM was hooked up since they took it out before I got the truck. Shortly after getting the truck the cd changer crapped out (never used it though), but I planned on an iPod adapter anyways. If you're looking to have XM and an iPod sell the cd changer.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

D2G-they probally used a FM modulator, that is how most sat radio is hook up, it connects in-line with your radio antenna, tune to a FM frequency that is not used and BAM!, you have sat radio.
You can do the same thing with a i-pod, then the FM modulator just plugs into your min-jack (headphone)

KPL-all cars have multiple speakers, at least four, most have 6 or more.
Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. will do a great job of this install.
Just go and pick the head unit that you like and have them install it.
If you need a extra amp they will tell you, but I dont think that you will. Most after market decks are at least 55 watts, most factory units are 60 watts, factory up-grade units are 100 watts and up, depending on the sound systems, the car, bla, bla, bla.
My Infiniti had a Bose 200 watt sound system, it would make your ears bleed, you could rattle the windows of the car next to you at a stop light, it was awesome...my Mitsubishi Montero had a 100 watt stereo, still rocked.
I have a Kenwood sat radio ready unit in my DI, I dont like it but it is the one that I picked out almost two years ago so I am sticking with it for now. It also has a input jack on the front for a MP3 player.
The unit plus install and by passing the factory amp was $230 at Circuit City.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:32 PM
4wd Low

I am curious why so many people want to change out the stock system in their Rovers? I just recently aquired my 04 DII and the first thing I did was rip out the pioneer head unit/cd player/aux ipod input that the PO had put in and put it all back to stock. The sound quality is better, and the use of the steering controls is a great feature. If an ipod input is truely needed then there are a couple companys out there making an adapter that plugs to where your cd changer currently plugs and is capable of using the steering wheel controlls as well to skip through songs on your ipod. Personally I just use a belkin FM modulator and changer for my ipod and have had no troubles at all.

I could see if someone was really wanting to upgrade all the speakers and add amps and subs that they would of course change out the head unit, but just changing it with out truely upgrading your entire system seems likes a waist of time to me. The factory amp and speakers perform much better with your factory head unit.

Just my .02not that I am really qualified to have an opinion on this matter. I have only been a car audio enthusiest for about 15 years.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:37 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i drive a F250 super duty as a daily rig, so going from that to the rover on weekends makes the use of the sound system in the rover a huge improvement over what i hear all week. with the addition of the sirius i will be perfectly happy with the stock system.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

The ONLY reason I went with a aftermarket deck was because my CD chnager and amp both did not work, and without the amp the factory unit has no volume to it at all.
That is the ONLY reason, I like the factory unit better, looks better and the sound quality is great.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:45 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: Spike555

The ONLY reason I went with a aftermarket deck was because my CD chnager and amp both did not work, and without the amp the factory unit has no volume to it at all.
That is the ONLY reason, I like the factory unit better, looks better and the sound quality is great.

ok ok simmer down

Old 11-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: sloppyjoe

ok ok simmer down
You dont tell ME to simmer down, dont you even DARE...ok, ok, just messin' with ya'.
He asked why people were replacing their headunits, so I just cant leave well enough alone, I always have to chime in, even when I have nothing to say.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:57 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: Spike555

ORIGINAL: sloppyjoe

ok ok simmer down
You dont tell ME to simmer down, dont you even DARE...ok, ok, just messin' with ya'.
He asked why people were replacing their headunits, so I just cant leave well enough alone, I always have to chime in, even when I have nothing to say.

someone needs a burpie hahahaha

Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Come on Spike. You bash mp3, but using an FM transmitter is ok? They sound like 4ss. Plus, if you live in an area with lots of radio stations like me, there isn't enough open space between stations to work anyways. I'm using the GROM Audio iPod adapter. It uses steering wheel controls, and powers the iPod as well. The only thing needed that would make it perfect is the ability to scroll mp3 info like artist - song on the headunit display.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Radio/Stereo in 2003 Discovery SE