Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Sunroof Seals

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Replacing Sunroof Seals

Currently pulling the headliner in my truck. Going to add 04 roof rails in the process. I would like to know if there are any cheaper places to get new sunroof seals? It seems like everyone on ebay wants at least $60 a seal. Which is a bull**** price if you ask me.

I dont know for certain that mine are leaking but I figure I'd replace them out of precaution. Would they necessarily need to be replaced? Could I used to RTV to re seat them and be good to go?

Old 06-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Currently pulling the headliner in my truck. Going to add 04 roof rails in the process. I would like to know if there are any cheaper places to get new sunroof seals? It seems like everyone on ebay wants at least $60 a seal. Which is a bull**** price if you ask me.

I dont know for certain that mine are leaking but I figure I'd replace them out of precaution. Would they necessarily need to be replaced? Could I used to RTV to re seat them and be good to go?
I admit they are a humongous price but in my experience better to replace them with genuine LR seals and also the frame to glass seals (just consider how long the genuine LR seals have lasted) considering all the work to remove the headliner etc. Also ensure you carefully checkout the little plastic water wells and drain spigots as they also leak whilst ensuring your drain tubes down the A post?? or is it B post?? and also C post are completely clear, blow them through with an airline. Bed the new roof shell to seal and frame on with good quality auto or marine mastic and also the plastic to roof shell surround. Cleaning off the old mastic is key to success as is all the prep work doing this.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the advice. Im actually not going to be doing the upholstery on the headliner. Im just taking it out and dropping it off at a shop to cut down on the labor expense. Gonna go with black too. I think it looks cool.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
. Gonna go with black too. I think it looks cool.
Yes it's does...

Attached Thumbnails Replacing Sunroof Seals-20150328_160726.jpg  
Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

yeah, I was seeing those prices too. went with cleaning it up and sealing it up with black 30 year silicone from HD. been months now, no leaks yet. $60 for a rubber strip- sheesh. find the same part for a chevy and it'd be like $12.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jamestfl
yeah, I was seeing those prices too. went with cleaning it up and sealing it up with black 30 year silicone from HD. been months now, no leaks yet. $60 for a rubber strip- sheesh. find the same part for a chevy and it'd be like $12.
Where did you get your sealant? This sounds like it's right up my alley. You didn't seal your sunroofs shut did you? You just put the old seals back with silicone right? If I'm reading you correctly..

Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The seal is p/n EEQ500010. Land Rover Parts and Accessories | LandRoverMerriamParts.com has them for $45 each.

This seal is for the glass to the sunroof seal. For the body to sunroof seal you should use a marine sealant. There was an article about pulling the head liner and resealing the sunroofs in Land Rover Monthly last year. It was very detailed. I think it was the April 2014 issue.

Last edited by acamato; 06-19-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

oh yeah, those puppies are sealed shut. the sealant was a GE waterproof 30 year black sealant I got at home depot. did not seal them at the bottom or sides, just the top parts exposed to the weather. used mineral spirits to do extensive cleaning. also laid a little bead at the base of the roof racks.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by acamato
................................... There was an article about pulling the head liner and resealing the sunroofs in Land Rover Monthly last year. It was very detailed. I think it was the April 2014 issue.
You are correct, the article was about a pro in Ireland who regularly (full time) repairs D2 sunroof leaks. His advice is worth a million bucks.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:35 PM

Quick Reply: Replacing Sunroof Seals