Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing viscous drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing viscous drive

OK, so my viscous fan clutch seized a while ago. Luckily it seized in such a position that the fan was always engaged so I didn't have to worry about over heating, it was just eating another 2mpg [:@]. I hate letting problems go for a long time but I really just haven't had any money to fix anything, but that's all better now. ANYWAY! Every where I've looked to see how to replace it I've read that you need some ridiculous $50 wrench to do so, so I'm wondering is it possible to do without this stupid thing or do I have to go out and buy a wrench that I'm never going to use again? Also how hard will it be to replace with or without?

Thanks guys

Old 10-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: replacing viscous drive

Well Mitch I ran into the same problem, I went to AutoZone and rented the fan clutch tool...wont work on LR's.
So either you need to buy the wrench, you could have it done buy your muffler shop for less than the wrench.
And I know, $50 is a bit to much for a tool I'm going to use once every 10 years.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

true. I wanted to do it myself but I guess I'll ask around the local shops how much they'd charge to do it. I'd hate to try it myself and ruin a perfectly good part. Thanks Spike

Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Beware that driving hard and revving the engine with a stuck fan clutch is well rumored to have a nasty consequence. Apparently the fan can come apart and launchFOD through the hood.

Dave

Old 10-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Team Owner

I have heard that too, but I dont really belive it. I am sure that it has happened to somebody at some point in time, but until they prove ithappened on Myth Busters....

Old 10-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: geotrash

Beware that driving hard and revving the engine with a stuck fan clutch is well rumored to have a nasty consequence. Apparently the fan can come apart and launchFOD through the hood.

Dave
that's probably true, but luckily for me, my fan, and my hood I drive slower than my grand mother.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Drifting

You don't need any special tool. I used a 14" crescent wrench on the big nut-two sharp hits to the left with a rubber mallet and it broke loose. From there, the fan spun off with my finger. And this was on a '94 that's been through NJ and WI winters all its life. Do the same thing in reverse to put it on...and the engine rotation will only make it tighter.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

How in the hell do you hold the pully still? Every time I tried to loosen mine the waterpump spun, loosened two of the pully bolts and stuck a screw driver in there to hold it from spinning, broke the screw driver. Good thing it was a Craftsman, replaced for free. But still...

And as for the fan coming apart, I just posted that question on Mythbusters, I doubt anything will come of it, but I posted it anyway.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'll have to ask my dad if he's got one of those wrenches, dodge. I'm only 19 I don't really have tools of my own yet

oh and Spike I'm gonna do the same, maybe if they get enough requests they'll do it. Maybe even try it out on a Rover

Old 10-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To hold the pulley still without the special wrenches, have a friend pull on the belt between the tensioner and the alternator. It should put just enough tension on the belt for the belt to hold the water pump pulley while you smack the wrench. Use quick smacks, it is basically like imitating an impact wrench. I have had to use this method before on Ford/Dodge/Chevy trucks before.

Quick Reply: replacing viscous drive