Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Water Pump while out of town ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing Water Pump while out of town ???

My water pump started leaking out of the weep hole on my drive from Dallas to Denver yesterday. I stopped often and checked coolant level. Today it started making noise so I left her at the hotel. I am picking up a water pump on the way back to the hotel and need to know what tools I may need to replace it. I am thinking the following-

10mm wrench and socket
Fan Clutch wrench

Anything else I am missing?

It sucks to be 800 miles from home and having to replace the water pump in the hotel parking lot so I need to make 1 trip to the store. I brought some tools with me, but need to know if I am missing something. I count 9 bolts holding on the water pump and 3 bolts holding the pulley to the pump.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to get the serpentine belt off first also sorry I don't know the size. Good luck that is the reason I pretty much carry all the tools I would need in my truck to do most repairs. Hopefully there is a harbor freight or a northern tool somewhere.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending how well the gasket or gunk comes off you may need a decent gasket scaper. Or a simple razor may do.

I wish I could tell you to hold off till you get home, but this is one of those things that cannot wait. Those bearings are on thier way out and that could be a catastrophe. Well, you obviously know that.

Good luck, wish I could give you a hand.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i remember needing a 12mm socket for 3 of bolts on the water pump. they are long bolts. i think the go into the block. some deep sockets or extensions may help. and a screwdriver to remove the hose clamp.

by the way. i just replaced my water pump two weeks ago and now im having some problems keeping the engine cool. ill be replacing the fan clutch, thermostat, and drive belt.

heres the thread. https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...740#post135740

Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

btbaus, did you purge all the air out with the bleeder screw?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a Harbor Freight and a Sears close by and niether had a wrench that fit that was thin enough to go between the fan blades and the pulley. Argh

The bolts are 10mm and 11mm. The 11mm go through to the block. The pulley bolts are also 10mm.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know a disco II you can use the 36mm clutch wrench in the ford clutch wrench kit at autozone. No sure about a D1 though. Sometimes you can find a cheap crescent wrench that is thin enough to fit in the gap. The fan is going to be the hardest part of the job. You may want to get a large strap wrench too to hold the pulleys while you try to break the bolt free on the fan. I will search around for the nut size on a DI.

Edit: I think the DI may also be 36mm but also could be 32mm. The Ford wrench is worth a shot if you have an autozone there with the free tool loan program.

Last edited by lipadj46; 08-31-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Drifting

purge all the air out of the cooling system? no. wheres the bleeder screw?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:40 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by btbaus
purge all the air out of the cooling system? no. wheres the bleeder screw?
oh you have a D1, maybe they don't have one

Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Thumbs up info for you

I also have a D1 and the ford fan wrench fits perfectly. I should know, since I've taken that thing off and on like 20 times this month!!!!

As for the purge valve... there is none. you have to use the top plug screw on the left side of the radiator.

Do yourself a favor before you do ANYTHING make sure you take a peice of card board and place it in front of the backside of the radiator and the motor. One slip of the wrench and you've just added salt on the wound if the card board is not there.

A few other notes to make life easier:
1. you'll need the to have the fan, belt (make sure you note the belt loop around the pullies for reinstall) and the idle pully removed (makes life easier) before you take off the existing water pump.
2. Before you take the pump off. Take the pully wheel off the pump if you can (three small bolts). It will save your knuckles and you can use a socket in stead of open box wrenches trying to get to the bolts on the bottom and sides of the Pump. You'll need it off anyway to remount to the new pump.
3. you'll need you drain the system via the bottom hose into the Radiator and it will take about just over 2 galllons to refill. It ill go every where once you dump it so try and be somewhat Eco friendly and catch the fluid. Good luck

Last edited by Jrock; 09-01-2009 at 05:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing Water Pump while out of town ???