Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Window Seals/Gaskets on my '97 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing Window Seals/Gaskets on my '97 Disco

The seals/gaskets for the rear side windows and rear door window are severely cracked, so I ordered new ones. I thought they were simply external trim items, but looking at the new arrivals, they look more like the window actually seats in a groove in these gaskets. Am I right? I have replaced windshield trim gaskets on BMW's before where the glass stays in place and the trim seats between the glass and body, but this appears to be a little more involved perhaps requiring special tools. DIY or don't waste your time and take it to a pro?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm in the same situation. Even worse I have rear air, which complicates things on the drivers side. My seals are not leaking just cracked. I have the replacements but I'm both too afraid to try it myself or take it somewhere. I hate working with windows.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I got the new seals from the dealer a couple of weeks ago. I paid about $55 each for the two side cargo windows and for the rear cargo door window. I have a local window shop that agreed to replace them for $25 each. I just need to find an hour or two to have them swapped out. Phil

DI 1999
DII 2001

Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my cargo door window replaced. Bought the seal from AB, and tried to do it myself using the method described in the Rave manual, but couldn't get it to go, and at the risk of breaking it I let the professionals do it. Took them less than 20 minutes.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, the glass sits in a groove in the gasket, which has a lip that fits over the edge of the opening.
No special tools needed.
Length of 1/8" rope about 4 or 5 feet long
cotter pin tool
some soapy water

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/287199-post3.html

A glass guy did one of mine, but he put it in wrong. When I take it out to re-do it I'll take some photos, that should make it a bit more clear.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm going to call safelite today and drive down there for a quote. I'll see what they think. I need to just get it done...

Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by antichrist
Yes, the glass sits in a groove in the gasket, which has a lip that fits over the edge of the opening.
No special tools needed.
Length of 1/8" rope about 4 or 5 feet long
cotter pin tool
some soapy water

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/287199-post3.html

A glass guy did one of mine, but he put it in wrong. When I take it out to re-do it I'll take some photos, that should make it a bit more clear.
Thanks that would help. I stopped by Safelite Autoglass and they quoted me $85 for each window. They also said if the window cracks/breaks they would not be liable. I wasn't too impressed.

Guess I'll have to tackle this myself at some point.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safelite told me they wouldn't put in any windows that they didn't sell, even if it was just to reinstall the factory one with a new seal.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Mudding

Thanks, ac. I get the general idea, but hard to visualize how the rope/groove/body thing works without being there with everything I need. Photos would definitely help.

I'm not surprised a chain like Safelite would decline to help. I have a local auto glass guy with enough confidence in his operation that I bet would do it, but I prefer doing it myself if I can. I'll take a long hard look, and if I'm feeling confident I'll have at it and take photos if none appear.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Smile

Hello guys....
I've been a mechanic for 30 years and I hate to be beat by such things....but there are some projects better left to others.........to me..glass work is one of them.
I just went through this with my 98DI, I bought the seals off of ebay and looked at the project....went "HMMMMM"., called a local independent glass shop and they said they'd look at it.....it took them less than a half hour to replace both rear side gaskets....charged me $50.00
money well spent I think !
fyi .... it took 2 guys to get the window out, 2 guys and a rope to put them back in.

Quick Reply: Replacing Window Seals/Gaskets on my '97 Disco