Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reprogram BCM to 5 speed to kill tres amigos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Reprogram BCM to 5 speed to kill tres amigos?

I currently don't have the 3 amigos because I researched and repaired first but I'm about to cause 3 amigos.

I'd rather not ditch the fancy abs/traction control (by installing lsd diffs or lockers wil happen if I must)

I'd rather spend my cash on 4.11 gears to match the 285 tyres.

I'm tossing an om602 in the disco 2 and using compushift. A fellow on YouTube has done the same and retained all abs/traction control (using compushift to run the trans) by getting the bcm reflashed as a 5 speed.

I contacted a local shop to see about doing the same and was told it wouldn't work.

is the local indy shop wrong, is the YouTube dude wrong? Any one willing to loan me a nanocom or auto logical with deposit to let me attempt it when I'm ready? Any experiences from forum members?

I need 20 mpg of oil burning power for this disco. Gas is good but God made diesel because it's better.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Not saying it’s a great idea but if you know someone with a Nanocom you can change Auto transmission to Manual under the BCU options:

Last edited by JUKE179r; 11-25-2021 at 12:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (11-25-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 07:31 PM
Rock Crawling

I need to know someone with a nanocom. If the bcm is the same between the 99 and an 03 I could send my spare bcm out to someone who has a nanocom to make the changes for me if anyone would be willing.

Last edited by PickleRick; 11-25-2021 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:07 AM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

I believe there is a forum member who has a system where he sends out his nanocom for use; Like a rental unit.
Looks like it’s a successful thread -

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di..._-_-%AF-97396/

Old 11-25-2021, 07:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

I think he stopped renting out his Nanocom due to people abusing it.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by PickleRick
I currently don't have the 3 amigos because I researched and repaired first but I'm about to cause 3 amigos.

I'd rather not ditch the fancy abs/traction control (by installing lsd diffs or lockers wil happen if I must)

I'd rather spend my cash on 4.11 gears to match the 285 tyres.

I'm tossing an om602 in the disco 2 and using compushift. A fellow on YouTube has done the same and retained all abs/traction control (using compushift to run the trans) by getting the bcm reflashed as a 5 speed.

I contacted a local shop to see about doing the same and was told it wouldn't work.

is the local indy shop wrong, is the YouTube dude wrong? Any one willing to loan me a nanocom or auto logical with deposit to let me attempt it when I'm ready? Any experiences from forum members?
The shop is right.

Reflashing the BCM from auto to manual will not fix traction control. As far as I am aware, all reflashing would do is take the gear position indicator (PRND) off the gauge cluster and the M and S lights will no longer function. Some other related gear-position stuff won't work. But that’s about it.

Old 11-25-2021, 11:20 AM
Drifting
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm starting to have flashbacks to WLADiscoII99 and DavidOHendo with this new guy, PickleRick. Is anyone else getting that vibe?

We all know the BCU (not BCM) has nothing to do with the Three Amigos, which is (are?) a SLABS fault.

Originally Posted by PickleRick
I'm tossing an om602 in the disco 2 and using compushift. A fellow on YouTube has done the same and retained all abs/traction control (using compushift to run the trans) by getting the bcm reflashed as a 5 speed. I need 20 mpg of oil burning power for this disco. Gas is good but God made diesel because it's better.

Last edited by Dweeb Discovery; 11-25-2021 at 11:41 AM.
CaptainAaron (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 12:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@PickleRick No the guy on youtube is wrong, as noted above totally different computers deal with traction control. Second I am no sure you get 20 miles to the gallon on that diesel, a DII with a TD5 in perfect condition claims 27 in reality 20 to 22 max.

There are very few conversions to judge by and most just faded away.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@PickleRick No the guy on youtube is wrong, as noted above totally different computers deal with traction control. Second I am no sure you get 20 miles to the gallon on that diesel, a DII with a TD5 in perfect condition claims 27 in reality 20 to 22 max.

There are very few conversions to judge by and most just faded away.

based on my personal experiences with diesel converted similar hp/weight fj60 and fj40 land cruisers I find low to mid 20 mpg a reasonable goal around town. At 70 to 80 mph hwy cruising, the aerodynamics of a brick are likely to drop to or right below 20 mpg.

So just to be clear, setting everything to a manual tans setting will keep all the abs/m/s lights off.

BUT the traction control system will still be disabled and not work? Even with a manual cdl engagement?

Or is this a must try, see and then document for others kinda deal? Like one guy says hawkeye will program keys while 100 other say na na.

Last edited by PickleRick; 11-26-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@PickleRick good luck with MPG gain I wish the best on that. BUT traction control is run by the SLAB's computer. Changing the transmission to manual WILL NOT keep those lights off, they are function of speed sensors and the Braking system.

CaptainAaron (11-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Reprogram BCM to 5 speed to kill tres amigos?