Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rims and tire package question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims and tire package question

First off, new to the forum. So hello and thank you in advance for any info relayed.

Got a 2k Disco 2. Currently running 265 75r16 Good year Wrangler on an OME lift and wheel spacers.

Been wanting to go skinnier like a 235 85 16, however from what I have read it wont fit on the 8" stock alloys (which I currently have)

I am tossing the idea around of grabbing some steels and putting them in place of the alloys but am having troubles finding them.

the good years measure out to roughly 32" so I would have a hard time going smaller. I did notice however that the weight will be the same if not more in the tires, so I wont really gain power etc back. But the Snow and Rain traction would be better. No reason for a wide tire, don't go out mudding.

What are some Tire offerings other then what tire rack has, the major brands are over 50#s a tire.

Does anyone have experience fitting this size to the 8" alloy?

Where can I find the steel 6.5" wheel this should have that actually fits the rover?

Cheers.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

From what I have read on this and other forums, memebers seem to fit the 235's on the standard 8" DII rim. The only issue/complaint they have is: due to the skinner tire on a "wide" rim the outter ring of the rim is susceptible to damage from rocks, curbs, etc...

Other than that, it's a neat look. I love tall skinnies on a Rover. I'm also running 265/75's BFG T/A K/O's. I sometimes wish I want 235/85's.

As far as the steel wheels, go check out most of the major Rover aftermarket part supplier's.

Check out Craigslist for DI rims.

Last edited by coors; 10-26-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You need to be aware that most tire manufactures are discontinuing make 235's because of slow sales so I would think twice before buying something you can't replace later.
Why skinner, just curious, they are a little rougher riding because of their design.
If you go to a narrow tire find a set of 7X16 factory wheels, they are out there.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by coors
From what I have read on this and other forums, memebers seem to fit the 235's on the standard 8" DII rim. The only issue/complaint they have is: due to the skinner tire on a "wide" rim the outter ring of the rim is susceptible to damage from rocks, curbs, etc...

Other than that, it's a neat look. I love tall skinnies on a Rover. I'm also running 265/75's BFG T/A K/O's. I sometimes wish I want 235/85's.

As far as the steel wheels, go check out most of the major Rover aftermarket part supplier's.

Rocks perhaps, Curbs, well it better be a hell of a curb and I better forget how to parallel park over night, City dweller here.

I guess I just need to convince the local shops to just fit the tires. they gave me some grief yesterday when I asked. The section width is like 9.4 inches so I think It would look alright.

I guess the 235 is common On pickups and especially duallys.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello new member! Have you looked into the major service sticky at the top of the page? There is alot of important information up there to bring your truck up to date with maintenance. Alot of it is things that are neglected by most owners and need to be done at proper intervals and getting the addressed now will save you money in the future.

Hope your enjoying your rover as much as we do ours. And I run a fat tire so I would not be of much help on this topic. Just wanted to say hello!

Old 11-22-2012, 03:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Was checking out the treadwrights, those are pretty intriguing from the price and review stand point.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dpaller
Was checking out the treadwrights, those are pretty intriguing from the price and review stand point.
I'll be needing tires in the next 6-8 months as well and I've already decided..... Treadwrights are where I'm going! I'm running Nitto right now and am happy with them, but I want a more aggressive look. For the price, they seem pretty hard to beat.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by coors

DI & DII have different bolt patterns for the rims

Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X2 d1 does not fit p38 rims will.....

Old 11-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Rover Curious
DI & DII have different bolt patterns for the rims
Luckily I found that out after some research. Someone locally was selling some pristine D1 alloys at scrap rate and was going to jump on them, but I double checked and found that BMW had swapped their lug pattern to the D2. bummer.

wish there were more options for a practical upgrade to get away from an 8" wheel.

Quick Reply: Rims and tire package question