Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip ready?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:25 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip ready?

Hey everyone. I am BRAND new here..so don't hate. haha. But, I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys. I have a Disco II that I want to take on a road trip to FL. I live near Atlanta, so it isn't that far. I have had a major engine tune up recently, and am planning on replacing the U joints before I leave. Also, I have a slow leak in the left head which I am not worried about quite yet. It does burn a little oil..but then again..what LR doesn't? I was just planning on brining a quart or two of oil with me just in case. I am also getting the trans.case filled before I leave as well. What are your thoughts? Any helpful advice would be appreciated

Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Roll the dice man.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I have a slow leak in the left head which I am not worried about quite yet.??????????

Old 06-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LRDiscoII1974
Also, I have a slow leak in the left head which I am not worried about quite yet.
Say what now? If you are talking about a coolant leak you shouldn't be taking it anywhere. If you're talking about a rocker cover gasket, then sure....whatever. As long as it isn't gushing.

It does burn a little oil..but then again..what LR doesn't?
Mine. That's not unique. They don't have to burn oil if they've been serviced properly, especially considering how frequently most of them have had head gaskets done (so the heads are already off and you can do the valve guide seals).

Any helpful advice would be appreciated
Tow another car behind you.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So, how many miles on the truck?
I would suggest that because you just bought the truck that you do the major service that I have posted at the top of this section, all of it including rebuilding/replacing the front drive shaft before it takes out your tranny.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

as long as you do the drive shaft like you said you were going to you should be fine. just bring oil and coolant with you.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Winching

yeah definitely do that drive shaft before driving it that far. That's a lot of hot interstate travel and if those joints bind up and explode that shaft, at that speed your tranny is done as Mike said.

leak as in valve cover (rocker cover) seepage? or do you mean actual leak, as in oil dripping into your driveway?

Last edited by sloan74; 06-02-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, I have a slow leak in the left head which I am not worried about quite yet.....
Yikes, those are famous last words, brosef.

Get that leak figured out or you'll be sorry..............I'm super serial.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do Mike's Service then you will know that you HAVE fluid everywhere and what kind you have. Since you just bought the vehicle, a road trip is no time to find out there is no fluid in a differential.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM
3rd Gear

There is no fluid on my driveway, and plenty of coolant in the system. I am getting the U joints done right before I leave. I am concerned about the left heads. Sad part is, the previous owner had just recently replaced all the head gaskets..so I don't know if it is actually leaking, or just remnants from when it was (maybe someone could enlighten me as to if this is possible). I just know it is either burning or leaking oil because I check the dipstick periodically and add a little oil when it is starting to get lower. I was planning on bringing a quart with me, just in case. Thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: Road Trip ready?