Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..

This whole project started approximately two weeks ago when I was determined to fix a minor coolant leak by replacing the “O” Ring of the “Heater Return Pipe”, and in order to do so I had to remove the “Upper Plenum”, and then some.

In the attempt I broke off the “Brake Booster Line” from the “Intake Manifold Brake Servo Vacuum”, including the “red thingy” that holds the line in the main “thingy”; but that’s a fix that I’ll take care of once all job is done, I’ll get back to that later.

Removing the pipe from the manifold turned out to be a nightmare; the thing seemed soldered and there was no way for it to come out easy; so after a few posts, tips from readers like you, necessary tool shopping, some banging, etc., I ended up following the "heat it up" tips from other members, so I called a friend with a torch to heat the damn thing and try that route.

Since it was going to take some time for my friend to arrive -a couple days- and most of the top part of the engine removed, and having bought some time before the “Rocker Cover Gaskets”, I decided to go the extra mile and do that job while I waited for the cavalry to fix the pipe.

Covers came out fairly easy I must say; bolts were completely loose, and since I wasn’t in a rush, took my time removing LH first. When finally, being able to see inside the cover, you could see black thick gunk all over. Had to snap some photos for posterity and share with the forum.

My job was to remove the covers, clean them up, replace the gaskets and close them up, but the pics had an effect on the viewers; and comments like “Also, that's some mean sludge on those rocket assemblies!!!!”, and “Wow. That's a sludgy head. Wow!” started coming in, as well as basic cleaning suggestions that involved doing things I didn’t imagine doing.

So backed by savvy comments, words of encouragement and determination, I armed myself with a ratchet and removed the LH “Rocker Assembly” -I’m no mechanic, I’m just a novice DIYer that was about to get his “cherry popped”.

I must say that I was a bit nervous and worried to damage something, but had a pretty good explanation on what to touch and what not to, as well as what to expect when removing or moving “x”, I must say I had a great mentor that helped me through the process, kudos for him!

Followed his instructions to the letter, and was able to clean pretty well the rocker assembly out of its place, and armed with shop towels I took care of what didn’t come out of the engine; I pretty much “dried cleaned” the hell out of it.

I haven’t put anything back in yet. The friend that was going to help me take the pipe out -which indeed came and did- gave me another tip to clean even more the rocker assemblies and the covers, so I did and the turnout is jaw-dropping, would love to have the covers be transparent to always look at them as they are now.

I’m hoping on Saturday to put everything back in, I’m just waiting for a “Torque Wrench” and some parts I ordered to arrive on Saturday and finish up.

Thought of replacing the sparks and ignition wires, but I’m a little under the 30K miles / 3 yrs since I replaced them last (used Kingsborne 8mm wires & Bosch Platinum plugs), besides, the "Landy" has not shown signs of bad wires or plugs, so I’ll pass on that.

I have uploaded the pics from the LH Rocker Assembly as initially found, in another post I will upload the progress, enjoy!

;-]#

Attached Thumbnails ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160522_175445_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160522_180002_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160528_120906_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160528_120926_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160528_135837_rev2.jpg  

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 06-02-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You're doing a good thing. That's very sludgy. I suspect the PO didn't change the oil much.

I'd look into strategies for cleaning up the engine generally after you clean the valve cover and rocker assembly. I've heard before that one way to do it is to use cheap oil and do a couple/a few changes in quick succession, i.e. after only a few miles driven for each. The theory, I believe, is that oil has detergents in it and changing it out a couple times tends to clean things up. I've also heard of putting diesel through the system. It's something to consider, but of course do your research first. I've never actually put diesel in there or had to deal with sludge, so I'm not an authority on this.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:29 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by batard
You're doing a good thing. That's very sludgy. I suspect the PO didn't change the oil much.

I'd look into strategies for cleaning up the engine generally after you clean the valve cover and rocker assembly. I've heard before that one way to do it is to use cheap oil and do a couple/a few changes in quick succession, i.e. after only a few miles driven for each. The theory, I believe, is that oil has detergents in it and changing it out a couple times tends to clean things up. I've also heard of putting diesel through the system. It's something to consider, but of course do your research first. I've never actually put diesel in there or had to deal with sludge, so I'm not an authority on this.
Thanks for your comment BATARD! ...yup, it is a good thing and sure does feel good to be doing it.

Yes, I'm pretty concerned about what is being left in the engine after this cleanup. I was a couple miles within my oil change, so will do so right after this cleanup as a first attempt. I have been using Rotella w/Mobil 1 filter combo for well over a year now, and being at such a reasonable price (Rotella), I might well use it to do the repeatedly oil change routine, just have to figure out how many changes will be enough, and in within what amount of mileage in order to keep it as clean as possible.

As per putting diesel, back in Venezuela I recall people putting some diesel or kerosene as part of the mix, and running it for a couple of miles, flush, refill and so on, so forth 'till you're done cleaning it, but as you say, will wait for more input from the other members as to pros & cons, I haven't done it myself either.

Stay tune and you'll soon see how cleaned those parts turned out! ;-]#

Old 06-03-2016, 06:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I have used kerosene to clean a few sludge motors, it works well.
One word of caution a little goes a long way. One to two oz per oil change is all that is needed. the idea is to slowly dissolve the sludge back to oil where it will be collected by the filter. If you use to much or a commercial cleaner you run the chance of dislodging large pieces that can block the oil pickup.

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
Thanks for your comment BATARD! ...yup, it is a good thing and sure does feel good to be doing it.

Yes, I'm pretty concerned about what is being left in the engine after this cleanup. I was a couple miles within my oil change, so will do so right after this cleanup as a first attempt. I have been using Rotella w/Mobil 1 filter combo for well over a year now, and being at such a reasonable price (Rotella), I might well use it to do the repeatedly oil change routine, just have to figure out how many changes will be enough, and in within what amount of mileage in order to keep it as clean as possible.

As per putting diesel, back in Venezuela I recall people putting some diesel or kerosene as part of the mix, and running it for a couple of miles, flush, refill and so on, so forth 'till you're done cleaning it, but as you say, will wait for more input from the other members as to pros & cons, I haven't done it myself either.

Stay tune and you'll soon see how cleaned those parts turned out! ;-]#

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (06-04-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 07:28 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
I have used kerosene to clean a few sludge motors, it works well.
One word of caution a little goes a long way. One to two oz per oil change is all that is needed. the idea is to slowly dissolve the sludge back to oil where it will be collected by the filter. If you use to much or a commercial cleaner you run the chance of dislodging large pieces that can block the oil pickup.
Thanks for your input DROWSSAP! will a black cap of CRC Brakleen serve as a measuring cup for the kerosene? might be like a shot glass... should I add it to the engine as soon as I put everything back together, now that I'm up for my oil change? how many miles do you recommend travelling before flushing it? how often should I do it, once, twice, etc... thanks again! ;-]#

Old 06-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Baja

I usually add about a shot glass the day before I am going change my oil. The first response is to get it out asap, don't do it. I made that mistake and lived blocked pickup and send units for what seemed like ever. I would just use the same ratio but change oil more often

Thanks for your input DROWSSAP! will a black cap of CRC Brakleen serve as a measuring cup for the kerosene? might be like a shot glass... should I add it to the engine as soon as I put everything back together, now that I'm up for my oil change? how many miles do you recommend travelling before flushing it? how often should I do it, once, twice, etc... thanks again! ;-]#

Old 06-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
I usually add about a shot glass the day before I am going change my oil. The first response is to get it out asap, don't do it. I made that mistake and lived blocked pickup and send units for what seemed like ever. I would just use the same ratio but change oil more often
...well, pretty much you can see from my pics how the LH side looks as soon as covers came out -RH looked pretty much the same; after thoroughly cleaning both "rocker assemblies" and "covers", they looked like if they came out of the box, and what I couldn't, or didn't want to get out, "wiped cleaned in situ"; so I'm more into getting that area, and the unseeable ones, better cleaned.

I'm inclined into pouring a shot-glass of kerosene once I get everything back together, maybe let it run for a week before draining? would that sound reasonable? of course, I do not want to put you on the spot here, but you sure seem to be one of the most knowledgeable members of the forum.

Also, after I drain that first concoction, should I pour another shot-glass with the new oil coming in?

I'm planning to leave soaking in Rotella -overnight- both rocker assemblies when I get back home from work, I understand that they need to be well oiled going back in, so thought this would be a good way to do that; I must start putting this whole thing back together tomorrow, wifey is requesting her wheels and garage parking space! ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 06-03-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Baja

I find it best to add it to the oil before you are going to dump it, opposed to adding it to fresh oil.

Because the way it works is by breaking down the old oil (the sludge) so you would not want to run it too long as you will lose the lubricanting properties or the oil.

But Im by no means a chemist.

...well, pretty much you can see from my pics how the LH side looks as soon as covers came out -RH looked pretty much the same; after thoroughly cleaning both "rocker assemblies" and "covers", they looked like if they came out of the box, and what I couldn't, or didn't want to get out, "wiped cleaned in situ"; so I'm more into getting that area, and the unseeable ones, better cleaned.

I'm inclined into pouring a shot-glass of kerosene once I get everything back together, maybe let it run for a week before draining? would that sound reasonable? of course, I do not want to put you on the spot here, but you sure seem to be one of the most knowledgeable members of the forum.

Also, after I drain that first concoction, should I pour another shot-glass with the new oil coming in?

I'm planning to leave soaking in Rotella -overnight- both rocker assemblies when I get back home from work, I understand that they need to be well oiled going back in, so thought this would be a good way to do that; I must start putting this whole thing back together tomorrow, wifey is requesting her wheels and garage parking space! ;-]#

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Winching

...a pause in "the shot of kerosene situation" to share a couple more pics of the initial state, now of the RH assembly.

Also you will see how the rocker assembly turned out after cleaning it with brake cleaner, but even better after soaking overnight in cresol, then removed with brake cleaner.

Again, the inside was "wiped cleaned" with shop towels, should had soaked the towels in brake cleaner, hmmm... maybe I'll do that tomorrow and re-wipe more gunk off of them.

Managed to get the RH cover looking much better than the LH, so I see myself re-cleaning it before getting it back on.

I've left the rocker assemblies soaking in Rotella, tomorrow I'll move them around and try to get the, as oily as possible, anyways that oil will go back in the engine after all is put together!

Attached Thumbnails ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160529_155719_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160529_155820_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160530_160259_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160528_174917_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160528_174949_rev1.jpg  

..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160530_151604_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160601_202710_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160603_080706_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160603_080729_rev1.jpg   ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..-20160603_194604_rev1.jpg  

Old 06-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

...a pause in "the shot of kerosene situation" to share a couple more pics of the initial state, now of the RH assembly.

Also you will see how the rocker assembly turned out after cleaning it with brake cleaner, but even better after soaking overnight in cresol, then removed with brake cleaner.

Again, the inside was "wiped cleaned" with shop towels, should had soaked the towels in brake cleaner, hmmm... maybe I'll do that tomorrow and re-wipe more gunk off of them.

Managed to get the RH cover looking much better than the LH, so I see myself re-cleaning it before getting it back on.

I've left the rocker assemblies soaking in Rotella, tomorrow I'll move them around and try to get the, as oily as possible, anyways that oil will go back in the engine after all is put together!

I hate to be the devil on your shoulder (or in your wallet) but since you are taking your time and have it apart, you could put ARP studs in place of those head bolts, 1 at a time so you don't ruin the head gaskets. BULLETPROOF!

Quick Reply: ..:: The rocker assembly cleaning situation ::..