Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod bearings..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was doing it I'd charge roughly 5 hours plus parts

Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Mudding

Where do you live? Have you checked your oil pressure first? How and when is your engine knocking? Hot cold with rpm etc

Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default not yet

Originally Posted by GARovee
Where do you live? Have you checked your oil pressure first? How and when is your engine knocking? Hot cold with rpm etc

i havent checked the oil pressure yet as i am looking to find a tester. I am going to try napa today and see if they rent one. I was just checking the car now at cold and did the screw driver and then fuel hose to the ear all around. I didnt here any hard knock at idel although one time with the screwdriver on the oil pan near the front i thought i heard a slight knock. Could not find again. I found something wierd as i put the fuel hose to the drivers side SAI pipe that goes to the block nearest the firewall. I can here a tick or slight knock...slight knock but yes a constant tick. I tried all the other SAI pipe connections, "3" and can hear nothing. Any ideas....

I here nothing form either rocker cover...

Thanks Chris

Last edited by vandev; 04-14-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default update and codes found

I have been going over the engine with a 2 foot piece of fuel line and the only noise is comming from the nut that attaches to the pipe comming out of the cylinder wall next to the exhaust manifold of the SAI piping. I also have a rapid ticking comming from the SAI pump relay located on the drivers side next to the air intake. When i got the truck reciently i changed the oil replaced vacume hoses as the crank breather hose was just a piece of fuel line droped into the engine well. Yea, real piece of work some idiot did. I also had a couple of SAi hoses disconnected as well as the SAI pump . Yea, they had it disconnected as they probably thought it was not working. Well it works as it 's like a vacume cleaner for about 60 secounds in the morning. Well i have had no lights at all but i was curious about if there where any codes. I ran the code reader and heres what i found. I had 5 codes. I didnt erase them yest as to see what i should do next.I am sure the noise is a exhaust leak at the SAI pipe nut. I ran the oil i changed out 2 weeks ago threw a strainer and no metal. There was a bit of sluge as i ran a flush threw it but not to much. I hope i dont have to replace the SAI pipe. Anyone want to chime in on my findings...

P0340
CAmshaft position sensor A - Bank 1 circuit malfuction

P0135
02 sensor heater circuit malfuction Bank 1 sensor 1

P0155
02 Sensor heater circuit malfuction Bank 2 sensor 1

P0413
Secondary Air injection Valve A CKI open

P0300
Random Multiple cylinder misfire detection

Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me get back to the knock.

Don't waste your time if you aren't sure it's a rod knock.

Ther's no magic to diagnosing a mechanical noise, it sometimes takes good detective work.

If I were hearing a knock while driving that I suspected to be bearings

Does it knock @ idle or @speed?
Generally, you'll hear mains as you slowly increase rpm in neutral (it's nice if you know what you're listening for, but it's a knock)

Put it in gear & hold the brake , give it a little gas, if it knocks then or while driving under load, it's more likely rods.

Remember that's generally.

If you're not 100% confident that you can do it, I agree with GArovee, It might be a job to be the assistant - make the mech teach you.

And yes, for a good mech, I'd say 5hrs if there's no surprises.
That's pan only, with R&R rod big end and cleaning

(I'm basing all this on a DI, DII is simliar, I believe)

luck,greg

Old 04-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default thanks

Originally Posted by greg409
Let me get back to the knock.

Don't waste your time if you aren't sure it's a rod knock.

Ther's no magic to diagnosing a mechanical noise, it sometimes takes good detective work.

If I were hearing a knock while driving that I suspected to be bearings

Does it knock @ idle or @speed?
Generally, you'll hear mains as you slowly increase rpm in neutral (it's nice if you know what you're listening for, but it's a knock)

Put it in gear & hold the brake , give it a little gas, if it knocks then or while driving under load, it's more likely rods.

Remember that's generally.

If you're not 100% confident that you can do it, I agree with GArovee, It might be a job to be the assistant - make the mech teach you.

And yes, for a good mech, I'd say 5hrs if there's no surprises.
That's pan only, with R&R rod big end and cleaning

(I'm basing all this on a DI, DII is simliar, I believe)

luck,greg

Thanks greg...It knocks more at slow speed and not at all at idel.... heres where i am at... After hearing a leak at the SAI pipe nut i waited till it cooled down a bit. I then turned the nut to see if it was loose. I got a quarter turn. I then checked with it running at i could not hear the leak ...tick...knock anymore. i then moved the hose down to where the manifold meets the cats and now i hear a leak there. I am going to use some break free on the nuts tonight and get a gasget set for the upper pipes. I will change them tomorrow and see how much it quiets down. I did the screw driver all over the engine and i dont hear a knock. I hope that is a good sign. Will see... I still have the cat touching the frame and ratteling a bit but i have that isolated sound and its not the TD5 sound. I am having the cat moved also tomorrow... i will get back and see where i am at after getting this listed stuff done. Still would like someone to chim in on the codes. I think i will post under a codes post...

Thanks you guys for all the help... Really.....

All the best Chris

Last edited by vandev; 04-14-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic!

The misfire may be because of the cam pos sensor. (never had to replace mine)

Both o2 are b/4 the cats (I'd replace cam sensor and give it a week, see if the o2 codes can be reset after the ECU gets comfy with the new cam sensor)

The SAI you may have fixed, you're on the right track.

The Rave in my sig is the complete one (it's big)
(You'll have to unzip to write to cd - I use nero6)

luck,greg

Old 04-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default almost forgot..

Originally Posted by greg409
Fantastic!

The misfire may be because of the cam pos sensor. (never had to replace mine)

Both o2 are b/4 the cats (I'd replace cam sensor and give it a week, see if the o2 codes can be reset after the ECU gets comfy with the new cam sensor)

The SAI you may have fixed, you're on the right track.

The Rave in my sig is the complete one (it's big)
(You'll have to unzip to write to cd - I use nero6)

luck,greg

Do you know what that 22mm headed screw right next to the oil filter is. Its on the front housing right next to the oil filter and you can see about 1/4'' of threads. It's facing down and is on the bottom of the front case. i tightend it as i seem to have a small oil leak there but didnt get more than a 1/8" turn. i looked threw the rave but it does not show. It seems that if it is a screw it should not show the threads. Very currious.

thanks Chris

Last edited by vandev; 04-14-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is the rod bearings, don't worry, it's easy. I did mine in an afternoon. Just pm me if you need help. I think changing the rod bearings is a part of good maintenence anyway. You can search the thread " I think this could be bad" that I posted. There is a lot of info and troubleshooting in there.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Mudding

i think all u had was an exhast leak chris,that knock/tic somtimes confuses people.if you tightened the sai nut and it went away or even got better u got nothin to worry about

Quick Reply: Rod bearings..