Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roof leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Mudding
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default roof leak

I have a 2001 SE7 that has an interesting roof leak. The vehicle has 2 sunroofs and is parked on a slight angle, with the front a little higher up than the rear. The driveway is level from side to side.

When I back down the driveway and stop before going onto the street, water pours out of the rear passenger headrest mount. I have checked the sunroofs and windows and they look okay. Short of removing the liner and see what is going on, are there any suggestions. The goal is to still use the sunroofs.

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Your rear sunroof is leaking. The drains are at the front of both sunroof trays so with the front elevated a bit, water collects in the tray and sloshes out to the back when you stop. At least, it was in my case.
Fixing it depends on why it is leaking in the first place. Are both motors working?

Old 11-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi, it's a very common problem to all D2's with sunroofs, so much so LR issued a notification bulletin on the problem. Use the search on here and you can find multiple posts on the subject.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Easy fix. Take out your tail lights. There will be a black rubber hose hanging down, you will not be able to see the end but you'll know which one it is, easy to tell just squeeze it and you can tell its hollow. Pull up on it until you get to the end and blow some compressed air up the hose. If you drain is clogged that should take care of it. I can almost promise your sunroof seal is fine.

If your front sunroof starts doing the same thing the hoses run down to the kick panel next to the brake pedal close to the door. Pull the panel, pull the rubber gromet surrounding the wires coming out of the inside body, fish out the hose and blow some compressed air. Same operation on passenger side. Should be cool.

I've done this a couple of times. The front is much more of a pain in the *** so you are in luck.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Mudding

Thank you for your responses. Both sunroofs are working fine. Just as an observation, I will park it on level ground and see what happens. The seals look good, and the area is clear of debris. I will try to blow the rear hose.

One other possibility that I was thinking was that the curved window on the passenger side may have a failure point in its gasket/caulking along the upper edge.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

You will not be able to see a drain plug obstruction with a visual inspection.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:48 PM
Mudding

The drain hose was easy to access and with a small air compressor, air was been blown through the line. I had someone else inside making sure that pressured air was being felt through the drain connection in the open sunroof.

At this point, you might as well blow both rear lines. Attached is a photo showing the removed taillight and drain line removed from the clip that is attached to the frame.

Attached Thumbnails roof leak-lr-d2-rear-sunroof-drain.jpg  
Old 11-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Mudding
Default Rear Sunroof Leak, Part 2

After listening to some more experience D2 owners, I went ahead and blown some air in the drain tubes of the rear sunroof. After a couple of days, I noticed a water stain build up on the ceiling on the side of the supposedly clogged drain line. Though any water leaking is minimal, a big rain storm is coming on Vancouver Island. This should be the test if this worked.

What would be the next step if this fails?

Old 11-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by JoJo The Giraffe
After listening to some more experience D2 owners, I went ahead and blown some air in the drain tubes of the rear sunroof. After a couple of days, I noticed a water stain build up on the ceiling on the side of the supposedly clogged drain line. Though any water leaking is minimal, a big rain storm is coming on Vancouver Island. This should be the test if this worked.

What would be the next step if this fails?
FLEX Tape.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

I feel your pain just outside Vancouver here - either tape or Clear silicone.

Unless you have somewhere to work where you are out of the rain and ready to drop the headliner you need to seal that sun roof until you can. I would suggest tape on the roof glass/ rubber seal joint and a bead of silicone on the seal between the roof and sunroof to be sure.

Water on the inside creates all kinds of issues you do not need

Quick Reply: roof leak