Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:45 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Roof Rack

After a lot of thought I have decided that I want to put a roof rack on my Discovery. I have seen a rack that follows the roof line of Disco and sits lower in the front. I have been looking and have found pictures of the rack but can't find any place that sells the rack. Any ideas on where to look for this rack? I know that I would have to remove the factory roof rails but that isn't a problem.

Thanks
Tom

Old 09-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Roof Rack

The racks you have seen are the saftey devices ones, they were used on the G4 challenge vehicles, and also similar ones on the camel trophy discos, unfortunately the company that makes them no longer trades, so its a case of getting a used one if your lucky.

There is also 2 versions, a lowlander version where you would have to remove your roof rails and could not use your sunroofs, but also a highlander version which will fit over your rails and still enable sunroof usage, and its identical in shape it just sits a little higher.

There is a company in the US that makes more or less a copy, but I dont know how good they are, ifI lived in the US I would buy one.

http://www.roverracks.com/VoyagerRacks.htm

Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most racks you can keep the factory rails, and usually it's the rear sunroof the has the clearance issue. The Safety Devices racks are the most sought after and command a premium in price. You can fit the D1 SD rack on a D2 but it's about 6" shorter. The SD racks have a badge so look for it in pics. One of the best ways to confirm it's an SD rack is by the mounting feet. There are two bolt heads on the outside and an allen head bolt going up into it from the bottom. A company called NorthWest Parts (NWP) makes a version that looks similar, but not as good. Good luck with your search and let us know what you find.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have seen some roof racks for sale on the for sale/wanted section of this forum.
Also check Craigs list.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling

i always thought it was illogical to have the roof rack follow the graduated roof line of the Discovery... seems like you get more useable space with a straight-across style.

i like the Brownchurch full-length, lots of space and no clearance issues with factory rails or sunroofs

Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I was going to mention the Hannibal style racks too. If you carry a lot of gear having the flat style gives you more usable loading space over the SD design for sure. I'm still up in the air which style I would choose. But there's a lot of other stuff to get first. I'm working on a winch deal right now.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:55 AM
TReK

I don't really think that the SD rack is worth the extra cost over a flat style rack. Plus I like to use my sunroofs. I don't figure on carrying much weight up there but the extra room will come in handy, especially for getting muddy gear home. I will probably also mount my cb antennas coming off the roof rack. Dual short antennas to eliminate the ground plain problems.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Three Wheeling

Here's one on ebay....Safety Devices Rack...it looks like it's made for a D1 but will fit a D2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...spagenameZWDVW

I personally have a SD rack...and I love how it contours to the the lines of the Disco. Plus, I can open my sunroofs when desired.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Winching

I love my hannibal rack..

Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 PM
TReK

Definitely like the look of that SD rack but it's not a good enough deal to justify a road trip to the east coast to pick it up. Going to check out the hannibal racks.