Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof water leak experts please

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Roof water leak experts please

2000 D2 170 k's

I think this will be one for the books.
Had a mild leak in roof for a few years but this winter it's graduated to major leak. When it rains, I get the soaked headliner right around the front windshield and taking corners It pours out from my front overhead light.

Before taking the headliner apart I got lazy and simply duck taped and sealed the sun roofs shut, I then siliconed the 4 mount points of the factory roof bars and then I siliconed the front section of the roof rails where it had cracked. and for good measure I ran a beed a silicone along the entire front windshield at the top.

Next rain...it leaked. didn't even seem liked it leaked any less, just as bad.

so I decided to take the headliner down. Took everything apart up front so I had a good visual of the ceiling right back to the back sunroof.

Yesterday it rained hard all day. I kept going out to check the leaks. Took a flashlight and looked all around....NOTHING. not a frigging drop.

I'm so stumped here. I know when I attach the headliner back together it's going to leak..I know it.

I don't even know what any of you would suggest as this is more like a twighlight zone episode.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had this problem, and I thought it was the sunroof seals between the glass and the fitting, turned out it was the front of the sunroof between the roof panel and the sunroof fitting - put some marine grade sealing silicon around the whole sunroof and pushed into the gap with my finger. Hopefully problem all solved.

Tested with my hose directly where it was leaking before and hey presto, no leak.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Good Luck

Yesterday it rained hard all day. I kept going out to check the leaks. Took a flashlight and looked all around....NOTHING. not a frigging drop.
Did you drive it during the rain or just check for static leaks? Often takes some time to find all the leak sources. You might want to consider using a polysulfide sealant such as BoatLife's marine line rather than silicone which is highly over used/rated IMO.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Very often when we talk about leaks from the sunroofs it's the seal between the glass and frame that comes to mind. But the seal between the frame and the roof panel is over looked. When the sunroofs on my D2 leaked I checked and cleaned the glass seals and was positive they weren't leaking, but still water was getting in. In the end I realised the whole units needed to come out to renew the sealant between the outer frame and roof panel. Once done no more leaking.

The only advice I can give on any sealant you might use for the frame is, DON'T use silicone, it very soon looses adhesion and your back to square one, don't ask me how I know.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphamale
The only advice I can give on any sealant you might use for the frame is, DON'T use silicone, it very soon looses adhesion and your back to square one, don't ask me how I know.
So what should we use if not silicone?

Old 12-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

the excess water after sealing those points may have been what was left in the catch tray. sounds like you've sealed up all entry points. x2 on sealing both the 'inside' and 'outside' of the sunroof frame- anywhere where there's a seal (or lack of one).

Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

I take it you have eliminated the tray plastic corner drain pieces, and clogged tubes, if you are concentrating on sealing the frame?

As I understand it drainage from those fragile plastic bits is the most common reason of leaks, either because the tubes clog, or the plastic spigot breaks off.

Just checking, as you don't mention that.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
So what should we use if not silicone?
Up a reply/post:
You might want to consider using a polysulfide sealant such as BoatLife's marine line rather than silicone which is highly over used/rated IMO.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the sealants you have in the States and therefore I'll leave it to those that know what you have available to advise you. But what 'number9' says is correct, silicon sealants are over rated and in my opinion very misused. They were developed (in the main) for construction and not automotive use.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:57 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

check the front of each rain gutter there was a TSP on them

Quick Reply: Roof water leak experts please