Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotoflex - Necessity of Centering Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 03:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Rotoflex - Necessity of Centering Bearing Replacement

Hi all,

I've done some searching through the forums but wanted to dedicate a post to try and capture some feedback on a specific nuance of the rotoflex replacement process: the centering bearing replacement. I'm chasing a minor drivetrain vibration that presents itself around 75mph and I'm thinking that the rotoflex is a likely culprit. Looking at the replacement process, I'd much prefer to just swap out the rubber piece itself rather than removing the driveshaft and popping out the centering bearing.

We're all aware that the rotoflex itself is a weak point and can fail. How often does this coincide with a centering bearing failure and how do you determine whether the bearing needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2020, 09:42 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Do you mean replacement with a new rubber rotoflex piece? There's no bearing involved in that process. It's exactly as you describe -- simply swap out the rubber piece. See page 47-7 in the RAVE for details.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:52 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Basic troubleshooting procedure is to replace only one item at a time, Otherwise you don't know what the real problem was... Go ahead and replace the rotoflex first and see if your vibration is still there or not...

The following users liked this post:
boston4 (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 10:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mollusc
Do you mean replacement with a new rubber rotoflex piece? There's no bearing involved in that process. It's exactly as you describe -- simply swap out the rubber piece. See page 47-7 in the RAVE for details.
I’m referring to the centralizing bearing, which comes in the rotoflex replacement kit. It sits in the differential end of the driveshaft and is a PITA to remove without the dedicated LR extraction tool, which you can’t buy. Most people get them out with an angle grinder and a chisel.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:29 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Last year I had the rear pinion seal and rotoflex done at a reputable indy LR shop, they did not change that bearing that I know of.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:47 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

The RAVE says nothing whatsoever about replacing that bearing when you replace the rotoflex. I know that I have never replaced it when swapping one.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:55 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

My 03 D2 had a vibration that would develop at highway speeds. Was the front driveshaft. Had an aftermarket one on there (don't remember the brand), swapped for a Tom Woods one and vibration gone.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the responses, all.
Originally Posted by Sean Maginness
My 03 D2 had a vibration that would develop at highway speeds. Was the front driveshaft. Had an aftermarket one on there (don't remember the brand), swapped for a Tom Woods one and vibration gone.
My front driveshaft is only about 6 months old. When I first purchased the car, I had what a more substantial drivetrain vibration that started earlier, and it seemed to get worse at 75. After changing the front driveshaft, the bad vibration went away, and the secondary one remained - this is why I'm thinking it's the rotoflex, though I suppose it could also be unbalanced tires or maybe the front shaft was never properly balanced from Lucky8.

Since the Rotoflex is a relatively easy swap and has an unknown service history, I think it makes sense to start there before throwing $300 at a new front driveshaft.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts

First, the part in question is a bushing, not a bearing, right?

What is it's function? How would it wear out?

I understand that other bushings, mostly rubber, deteriorate and wear out (radius arms, Watts linkage, panhard rod), but this one is apparently made of steel and I don't understand from the diagrams how it could wear out.

If I were replacing the Rotoflex on my truck I would it ask myself those two questions and unless there was a clear reason to replace I'd leave it alone. But I understand I may be missing something so I look forward to hearing from others if they have more informed responses.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Here's the centering bearing/bushing:
Originally Posted by Nftyper

Quick Reply: Rotoflex - Necessity of Centering Bearing Replacement