Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Interior Wire Through A Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 10:30 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Interior Wire Through A Pillar

Hey all,

Looking to add a reverse camera and mount the microphone for my new head unit as cleanly as possible. I have the headliner down for repair, so I was going to run the two wires while all of that space was open. I figured that the driver's side A pillar would be the best place to run the two new wires, but I'm not sure exactly how to run them.

Photos showing what I'm referring to: https://i.imgur.com/5LcTBbJ.jpg https://i.imgur.com/trTxOGl.jpg

I'm guessing that I'll need to pull the gauge cluster for this, as the interior fuse panel below the steering wheel didn't look promising at first glance. I'm definitely open to running it on the passenger side, though that looks to be about the same level of difficulty.

Any advice would be appreciated. I looked around for someone who's solved this problem before, but all I've found have run wires on the outside of the A pillar (for exterior lights) or have people responding to hack up their wiring harness to get to unused wires, which I'd like to avoid.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:52 PM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

I'm not sure what you're asking. What is the problem? Why isn't the passenger fuse panel promising?
I ran my microphone wire through the fusebox area, then up to the A-pillar and behind it. Similar for the rearview camera wires, but I put them up the passenger side. Since I mounted the camera on the rear door, keeping the wires on the passenger side meant that they were closer to the hinges.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:03 PM
4th Gear

Sorry about the original post, typing it out on my phone wasn't the greatest idea.

There isn't much room to jam the wires down the A pillar, and I can't make out where the wires go from there. I was thinking they run behind the gauge cluster, but if I can route it down near the interior fuse panel that'll work too. I'll try to poke around some more. Just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:57 AM
TReK

There's plenty of room behind the A pillar for a few wires. I have 4 or 5 sets of wires going up each side.
At the bottom of the A pillar, you can tuck any wires between the dashboard and the body of the vehicle. On the passenger side, it's a very short distance and then you direct the wire behind the glovebox. On the driver side, I have things routed all the way to the lower left corner of the fuse panel cover, and they're held in place when the cover is closed.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:32 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the help. I ended up going between the driver's side dash and the A pillar, then running it down to the interior fuse panel and to the head unit. Photos: https://imgur.com/a/1NreoH6

Old 04-21-2021, 11:32 PM
TReK

That's basically what I did too, but I ran the wire into the fusebox area rather than keeping it along the lower lip of the opening. I have aux power wires for the CB and a GPS going to the fusebox, as well as the Ultragauge lead and the microphone wire for the head unit.