Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runs Hot - Sounds Like A Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 06:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
I'd advise against running without coolant. Coolant acts as a lubricant for water pump bearings too, and has other corrosion prevention properties. I believe all water wetter/purple ice/etc do is break the surface tension water might have as it runs through channels. Running straight water will almost always have better cooling properties than running a 50/50 mix alone. Some race cars run water. But it's not a suitable substitute for 50/50 in a not-racecar.

I hear ya! I'm in Florida where it's hot year round. The Purple Ice does have corrosion inhibitors and lubrication in it but upon further reading, they do recommend about 20% coolant.

"Purple Ice may be added to any antifreeze / water mix; however, testing has shown higher water concentrations yield greater cooling benefits. While Purple Ice does contain corrosion inhibitors as well as lubricants to compensate for a lower antifreeze / water concentration, Royal Purple recommends using a concentration of antifreeze appropriate for the cold winter temperatures in your area because Purple Ice offers no freeze or boiling protection. The preferred coolant mix would contain a minimum of 20% antifreeze (offers 12°F protection) to provide a higher boiling point, and greater corrosion and deposit protection for the coolant, along with 1 to 2 ounces of Purple Ice per quart of coolant."

I also found this article to be helpful: https://www.onallcylinders.com/2016/...dditive-guide/

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (10-16-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Got the engine exhaust quieted down a bit with the JB extreme heat and some new exhaust gaskets. Going to do another soap test, retorque and call this one done!

Installing the gaskets

Old 10-17-2019, 09:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m assuming this sound is my lifters, what do you all think?

Sound starts when the engine is warm.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

That sounds horrible. It could well be lifters. How old is your oil? What weight is it? Stick a long screwdriver to the motor at the intake, valve cover, and the oil pan. Where is it loudest?

Old 10-18-2019, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
That sounds horrible. It could well be lifters. How old is your oil? What weight is it? Stick a long screwdriver to the motor at the intake, valve cover, and the oil pan. Where is it loudest?

I don’t have access to my rover right now , I believe it’s 5W/30

i wasn’t sure if that was a good oil for it.

what should I be putting in it.

2004 89,000 miles
Dallas Texas weather

runs at 200/215F
changing the thermostat soon to 180

Old 11-13-2019, 05:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default New Pulley

Added a second idler pulley. Hopefully this will quiet things down a bit more. Will test and let y’all know.

I pulled the belt and tried to wiggle all the way other pulleys. Didn’t feel any play in them but the harmonic balancer has a slight wobble. Hopefully that’s within target but we’ll see.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Added a second idler pulley. Hopefully this will quiet things down a bit more. Will test and let y’all know.

I pulled the belt and tried to wiggle all the way other pulleys. Didn’t feel any play in them but the harmonic balancer has a slight wobble. Hopefully that’s within target but we’ll see.

I changed all my pulleys including the tensioner when I did a
steering pump swap... didn’t change anything.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well this last pulley definitely made a difference for me. Between the three pulley replacements, greasing the driveshafts and fixing the exhaust leaks I think I finally got everything quieted down. Glad to have that behind me. Now I just need to resolve a pesky SAI issue. I will be doing a smoke test this weekend to see if I have a vaccum leak.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Did you ever figure out this sound? It sounds like a slipped sleeve. Have you tied the sound to the left or right side of the engine? Have you pulled the heads?

Old 11-13-2019, 07:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Did you ever figure out this sound? It sounds like a slipped sleeve. Have you tied the sound to the left or right side of the engine? Have you pulled the heads?
I have not, I’ve switched to rotella and it hasn’t really made a difference.... I need to find some time to check out other stuff just been busy. Runs great... you would think the sound would be normal...

Quick Reply: Runs Hot - Sounds Like A Diesel