Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sagging headliner

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sagging headliner

My recently purchased 2003 Disco II was in great shape except for a sagging headliner, which I understand is a common cosmetic issue.

Found a $4 fix at Autozone which had my headliner as good as new in 90 seconds. They sell a Headliner Repair Kit which consists of 8 x 1/4" corkscrew wires on clear plastic 'button' bases. You simply screw one of these thru the fabric into the foam roof liner which pins the fabric back in place. Totally nondestructive. I spent a whole insomniac's night working out how I might accomplish this before a guy at the local upholstery shop steered me to this fix vs. a $400 headliner replacement.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover144
My recently purchased 2003 Disco II was in great shape except for a sagging headliner, which I understand is a common cosmetic issue.

Found a $4 fix at Autozone which had my headliner as good as new in 90 seconds. They sell a Headliner Repair Kit which consists of 8 x 1/4" corkscrew wires on clear plastic 'button' bases. You simply screw one of these thru the fabric into the foam roof liner which pins the fabric back in place. Totally nondestructive. I spent a whole insomniac's night working out how I might accomplish this before a guy at the local upholstery shop steered me to this fix vs. a $400 headliner replacement.
Can you provide pictures of what your headliner looked like after this repair?

If it is these
Amazon clear headliner tacks Amazon clear headliner tacks
then it seems like it would look like poo!

The following users liked this post:
USAroverman (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
Old 03-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Before / After pics

Originally Posted by cybercop

If it is these Amazon clear headliner tacks then it seems like it would look like poo!
I concur, would like to see the end result if possible. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Jnj
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$70 is fabric and adhesive and 4 hours of time and it can look brand new again. Why mess with buttons in your ceiling

Old 03-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop

If it is these Amazon clear headliner tacks then it seems like it would look like poo!
Thanks for the post I'm going to look into this at my local Autozone. I have the DVD option from the factory in my Disco, the headliner is sagging, and it looks like a bear to replace especially with the DVD unit in the ceiling.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

IMO the only way to fix a sagging headliner is the hard way. Strip it out from the truck, strip off the old foam backed liner material, clean down the grp substrate and fit new foam backed headliner material fixed with adhesive. Anything short of that is a bodge or makeover. Whilst the headliner is out fix the existing or future potential leaks to the sunroofs. When this is all done properly it's good for another 10 years.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner Sagging

My headliner started sagging too. I have a 2003 Discovery S. It doesn't have the dual sunroof setup of the SE, but has the same foam roof panel under the headliner with the sunroof cutouts. So the headliner material is stretched over voids where sunroof would go. Headliner started sagging around the sunroof areas and a few other places.

Anyway, I spent a few bucks on the Amazon upholstery pins with clear plastic heads and then spent about 15 minutes putting them in. They are all symmetrically and evenly spaced. No one has ever mentioned them, including folks who have never been in a Disco and comment on all the headroom as they gaze around and above - headroom that has twist pins in it. I decided to save my time and money for things like shocks, tires, and other things we have to look forward to with these trucks.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

does anyone remember when head liner were cloth held in by 3 or 4 roof bows and they never came down or caw loose

Old 03-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I'll take some pix and post.

The result is very unobtrusive, and actually looks quite natural. The "buttons" are not black, but clear. I doubt that I could replace the headliner myself and not have it look like the headliner equivalent of a self-window tint job!! Turned out that only 7 pins corrected the issue and literally took me 90 seconds.

Quick Reply: Sagging headliner