Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saturated Carpet, front and back

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:52 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saturated Carpet, front and back

I just bought a 2004 Disco II 3 days ago and as I drove out of the driveway this morning, water came pouring out of the rear driver's side door. I got out and checked under the rubber mats and the carpet was totally saturated. Front, Back driver's and Passenger's. It was worse in the front than the back but totally soaking wet.

I didn't leave the sun roofs open and I thought I may have felt a drip of hot liquid on my foot the other day while driving. Headliner is dry, seats are dry, rear storage is dry. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

If the headliner is completely dry it could be AC drains, windshield leak, door seals, and heater core on passenger front floor.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (07-14-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:20 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Did the water come from the headliner above the door? If it came from near the headliner, check the drain plugs for the sunroof. Besides windshield and alpine windows, not much else can cause a leak up top like that.

The headliner shell is made from fiberglass so it doesn’t leak, it lets the water run to all kinds of strange places depending on how you park. It leaks through bolt holes, etc.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts
Default here is the TSB on the windshield leak

I have attached the TSB on the windshield leak , I got a lot of water inside from there.

Driver's side front and rear big puddles if it rained hard. Check both sides.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
water_ingress_to_headliner.pdf (170.8 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Jam a coat hanger into the ac nipples and see if you get wet. Although that sounds like more than AC water. But it has been hot and humid...

Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea, have you seen water underneath the truck from the ac? If not if’s the ac drains. That is a nightmare. I had to deal with it last year. Took forever to dry out and could have all been avoided with two simple nipple tweaks.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Friends 04 he bought last month had a ton of water in his stuck AC drains. It got me soaked & it was nasty goo that came out at first!

Old 07-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

And if that is the issue, be careful when you clear the nipples, because that water can be very hot.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by akrover90
And if that is the issue, be careful when you clear the nipples, because that water can be very hot.
Taken out of context, that sounds pretty dirty and funny. I like ;-)

Old 07-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Also, check the windshield cowling for leaks. On most of our cars, the plastic cowling that covers the bottom of the windshield is cracked. Water will get in and eventually it will make its way into the cabin by the way of the cabin air intakes. When you buy a Disco, you should really do the following:

1. Take A-Pillar trims off
2. Take the windshield cowling off
3. Patch the holes where A-pillar is connected to the body + guard rails (follow the instructions in the PDF file referenced above)
4. Inspect the body protected by the cowling: The air intakes should not be loose. If they are, tighten them up and then put some sealant around them
5. Put the new windshield cowling on
6. Inspect and clean the AC blower motor
7. If you have sunroofs, take out the headliner and inspect the sunroof drip pipes
8. Cut off the AC drip nipples, clean the pipes

Then do the following every time you do an oil change or more often depending on where you live:

1. Inspect the drains on each side of the hood (close to the windshield) for blockage
2. Inspect roof guardrails for blockage
3. Inspect the AC drains for blockage (good time to do when you're greasing your front driveshaft)

Quick Reply: Saturated Carpet, front and back