Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Say it aint so!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:48 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Say it aint so!!!!!!

I just got an 03 discovery a week ago and I am noticing that there is white smoke coming from the exhaust at start up and until it heats up. THEN I noticed that there was some fluid on the ground under it after running it. SOOOOOO I got a paper towel and soaked some up to see the color and it appears to be a pinkish color. I popped the hood and it looks like it is coming from the radiator I think. PLEASE DON'T TELL ME WHAT I THINK IT IS (head gasket)

ok so I just took the cover off of the top of the radiator and it looks like there is a little rubber hose on the drivers side and that is where the fluid is leaking from. Any ideas??

Last edited by 03ROVERGUY; 01-03-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

You need to have a pressure test done to see where it is leaking from. You can try adding some dye from NAPA, that's how I found my leak.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 03ROVERGUY
I just got an 03 discovery a week ago and I am noticing that there is white smoke coming from the exhaust at start up and until it heats up. THEN I noticed that there was some fluid on the ground under it after running it. SOOOOOO I got a paper towel and soaked some up to see the color and it appears to be a pinkish color. I popped the hood and it looks like it is coming from the radiator I think. PLEASE DON'T TELL ME WHAT I THINK IT IS (head gasket)

ok so I just took the cover off of the top of the radiator and it looks like there is a little rubber hose on the drivers side and that is where the fluid is leaking from. Any ideas??
Replace the hose? Is it a soft hose or a hard plastic hose? The hard plastic ones break all the time.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:15 PM
4wd Low

Its the soft black hose. where do I get it, can I get it at advance auto or places like that

Old 01-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A hose is a hose, so if you can get the correct size at AutoZone go ahead and repalce it with a rubber hose from there.
They sell it by the foot, take off your leaking hose and take it to the store and get some more.
If you tell them what it is for they wont have one.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 03ROVERGUY
Its the soft black hose. where do I get it, can I get it at advance auto or places like that
If it is the 5/16 soft black hose, yes, you can get it at an auto parts store. That hose should go into the hard plastic hose. You sure it's the soft hose? It could just be the clamp on the hose, too.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:18 PM
4wd Low

OK I just went out to check the hose and it is the one that goes from the resevoir bottle and across the front of the radiator. I was going to put some electical tape around it until I could fix it and there is a crack in it. so that is good news I guess??

Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That hose is $20 from the dealer just buy it there.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:48 PM
3rd Gear

Where are you located? It's freaking cold here in Indiana and they all steam warming up. There's moisture in the exhaust systems and it should steam until it warms up. Does the exhaust smell sweet at all? Is it overheating or loosing coolant?

Your leak is not normal though, and as stated ^^^ replace that hose with a rubber one. The hard plastic ones are brittle and break if you sneeze on them wrong.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
If you tell them what it is for they wont have one.

HA! This is an amazing quote Spike. I live in a very small town 150 miles from any Rover Dealer. I found when I go places and ask for a part for a Land Rover they usually stop me and say "What?" and I say "Land Rover....you know...British, Range Rover.....", then they just shake their heads..."No,No...we don't carry anything like that."
Then I show them what I need and they turn around and grab it.

Quick Reply: Say it aint so!!!!!!