Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Say Sell, I say Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Say Sell, I say Why?

Has anyone lately been told because you spend so much to repair your baby that you should sell it, or because you don't get the best fuel mileage? I don't know about the rest of you Rover owners, but I have always wanted a Land Rover since I was a young teen, and it took me a better part of my life for that to happen, now that I have mine, a 1997 Discovery, people keep telling me that I should get rid of it, it cost too much to maintain, and gas mileage is not that good. I say I am keeping my long life dream for now, and if they don't like it, oh well they are not the ones that pay for it.

This brings me to another story that happened to me not so long ago. I work for a local company as a welder, and so sometimes I might stop at the store on my way home for something to drink or to pick up a dinner. One day, and i am not kidding here, I had stopped at a supermarket on my way home and parked in the parking lot, I pulled up next to another Land Rover owner who was just getting out of her car, I walked passed her and she gave me this unpleasant look, which I really didn't even think about, I just thought she was one of those people. I could tell that she was one of those well to do people just by the way she dressed and how she reacted to me, but no biggy.

I went into the store and did some shopping and when I came out the police was parked around my Rover and an officer was walking around it, I thought that something was out of place here, and when i walked up to the officer he asked me if I was the owner of this Land Rover, of course I told him I was, and he asked to see my Drivers lis. I showed him it, and he handed it right back to me and said, well sir, we had a report that this might have been a stolen car; someone called in and said that someone drove up in this car that was suspicious, and that is why we are here. I just said, well I own this car and I haven't called anyone, at that time the women that was parked next to me came out of the store, and went to her Rover and put away her stuff, and that is when the officer asked her for her drivers Lis, maybe someone got the info wrong, and it was the other Rover, she was very upset with the officer, and blurted out, I own this car, that is the man that stole that car, and she pointed over at me. lol

After a few moments and after she pulled away from her spot, the officers both walked over to me, shaking their heads and lightly laughing to each other, and then the officer said to me, she was the one that called us, she thought it was unusual that a person like you would be driving a Land Rover, she said people like you can't afford cars like this, I stood there for a second, laughed myself, and then said, I wonder, what kind of people own Land Rovers? And the officer said, apparently the wealthy, I then said, so just because I look dirty and have dirt on my clothes I am not wealthy? The officer said, I guess not, I then said, I will tell you what, I don't know about that lady, but I can say this for sure, My Land Rover is paid for, I own it, I don't make payments it is mine. I bet she is still paying for hers.

I know this is long winded, but it really happened to me

Old 06-04-2006, 01:57 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The Say Sell, I say Why?

That is the kind of person that has a vehicle for a status symbol.
Now she has to sell it all because of you, (this is a good thing)
People like that will give anything the drive a bad name.
"The cars a** ho** drive."
I have found that people that have really have money are very nice.
The people that think they have money are very unpleasant in most ways.
I have worked on vehicles and now manage people that do the work for 26 years.
So this is not new to me.
Here in Texas it is hard to tell who may have money as most people dress down,
but it is not hard to tell by the way they act.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Mudding

Reminds me of the old joke:

Q: "What's the difference between a BMW (or pick your upscale car) and a porcupine?"

A: "A porcupine has the ****** on the outside."

Mea Culpa up front if I have offended anyone.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: Landzu

That is the kind of person that has a vehicle for a status symbol.
Now she has to sell it all because of you, (this is a good thing)
People like that will give anything the drive a bad name.
"The cars a** ho** drive."
I have found that people that have really have money are very nice.
The people that think they have money are very unpleasant in most ways.
I have worked on vehicles and now manage people that do the work for 26 years.
So this is not new to me.
Here in Texas it is hard to tell who may have money as most people dress down,
but it is not hard to tell by the way they act.
It is like my dad said, and he has been around a while, people like that don't like to see the under person having something nice, and to tell you the truth, I got my Land Rover on a steal, paid cash for it, and drove it home. In 2001 I paid only $5,000 for my Rover, from a privete seller, of course who had a lot of money. It only had 54,000 miles, so in my eyes I got a good deal and lucky to boot.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Landdaddy

...to tell you the truth, I got my Land Rover on a steal...
a-HA! I'm turnin' you in buddy...

I can't freakin' believe that story. I'll bet she called 911 to do it, too. Hopefully she didn't keep someone with a life-threatening emergency away from assistance [>:]

Cheers,
Bill

Old 06-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling

those that use it as a signal to the world, usually have no idea of what they will do. They also don't understand the idea, that some people actually like to work on their own vehicle. Maybe one day you will full of dirt and in your rover, and she will be sitting with a broke rover, and will have no option to except help from one of us people that just like the ride. I don't wish her bad, but would it not be a hoot. ride one. I have a 96 disco. 130k, runs like a top, and I keep it that way. my friends tell me to buy GM. I still have my rover and they have called for help. Even they know there is very little a rover can not do. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 06-11-2006, 01:11 AM
Drifting

I don’t know about the rest of you, but let me tell you something. Back in 1981 I went for a ride in a old beat up Land Rover, the dang thing was a tank, and looked like it came from the jungle of Africa, I just loved it, and I said to my dad’s friend, I want one of these some day. I came across my Rover really by accident, and it was sitting in a person’s driveway and every time I drove by I noticed that it really never moved, one day I stopped and asked the owner about it, and although her husband was not home at the time, he had told her that he wanted to sell it, but she didn’t know how much he wanted. I gave my number and she would call me later.
A few weeks had passed and one night I got a call from her husband, and he told me that the Rover has very little miles and they needed to sell it because they were expecting a new baby and they wanted to get a new Mini van, I asked him how much he wanted for the darn thing, thinking it was going to be outrageous, and he said, well, you know I really need to get rid of it, and he gave me a price and I said, that sounds fair but I don’t have that amount on hand right now, can you hold it for a few weeks, he paused for a few moments, then he said, well I can’t let it go right now for less then that, I am really sorry, and if someone comes along with my asking price I am going to have to sell, I understood and wished him luck, and was sort of disappointed.
About two days later while at work, my cell phone rang, and it was the mans wife, and she said to me, I really want to get rid of that thing, and I am going to give you a deal, can you come up with $5,000.00, I was shocked! Yeah I can come up with that right now, she said, can you get here before 5pm? I said, well I am at work right now and don’t get out until 6pm, she said, is there a way you can get out any earlier? I said, for that I will, and within an hour I was driving my new Rover, she sold it to me while her husband was at work.
I look at it this way, I paid for it, it was mine now, and sorry about the husbands bad luck, I never did hear anything from them, but you can bet that when he got home and saw that my Rover was now gone, there must have been an argument of some kind, personally if my wife had done that we would have been in divorce court for sure.

Now about the lady who turned me into the police, to me, I had to laugh at her because she made her self look like a fool, not me. If she is that uptight then she needs more meds, from her high priced shrink she pays for to cope with the real world.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Overlanding

I've met ******** and quality people in every category; Civic snobs to a very down-to-earth Lotus owner. It makes me laugh whenever I attend an Audi/Volkswagen gathering; there is always a Jetta owner looking down his nose, and typically an RS6 owner that sits down next to you and chats.

Its unfortunate that people act like this. I dont really understand her thinking; no doubt she believes she did the right thing and believes herself to be a hero. How do people get so far out of touch with reality?

I have loved Land Rovers ever since I can remember, but truly desired one in the late 80's when I first saw the Defender 90.

At any rate; I live by:

Sell the car when you fall out of love with it... when you no longer have the passion to PROPERLY modify or repair or maintain it. When you no longer ENJOY hand-washing it to pass the time on a Saturday afternoon... THATS when its time to move on.