Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is a scary forum!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is a scary forum!

It's so full of doom and gloom. I shiver everytime I read it. This is what I've learned:

1. Land Rover engines suck.
2. The transmission and drivetrain sucks.
3. The suspension wears out in no time and all the springs need to be changed.
4. the electronics suck.

My '04 with 96,000 miles appears to be going strong, but I'm very concerned about the future.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Rock Crawling

ROFLMAO! Yes there is a lot of doom and gloom. But it sure is nice to date a supermodel, even if you have to fix her again as soon as you get home.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Turn the channel.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

not for nothing but you have AB right around the corner from you, not to mention some great mechanics at Autobahn and that place in Troy.

The engines don't suck once you take care of the leaky gaskets and get rid of the dexcool.

the transmissions are great as long as they are properly serviced.

the only problem with the driveshaft is with the D2 front shaft that needs to be rebuilt with greasable u joints.

dont buy **** suspension and it wont wear out.

can't argue with electronics sucking.

just my .02

Old 12-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Drifting

not for nothing but you have AB right around the corner from you, not to mention some great mechanics at Autobahn and that place in Troy.
I use AB when I can, exit 9 on the Northway.

The engines don't suck once you take care of the leaky gaskets and get rid of the dexcool.
No leaky gaskets. I thought I read the oil pumps are bad and the sleeves slip. What are you supposed to use instead of the dexcool?

dont buy **** suspension and it wont wear out.
I read the OEM coil springs wear out fast

Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Newscotlander
It's so full of doom and gloom. I shiver everytime I read it. This is what I've learned:

1. Land Rover engines suck.
The engines dont suck the gaskets suck. The topic of "slipped sleeves" comes up sometimes, but seems to be pretty rare. If it became commonplace, then yes, the engines suck. But I think it's rare.

2. The transmission and drivetrain sucks.
Disagree. The transmissions are awesome. You might be thinking of the front driveshaft. Big woop. $175.

3. The suspension wears out in no time and all the springs need to be changed.
Not sure that the failure rate is high. But hey this is the best part! Use it as an excuse to your wife that you need new "shocks". Then order an OME lift!

4. the electronics suck.
Lucas definitely has a bad rap for electronics. But electronics aren't really a frequent point of discussion on these boards.

I'd say this:

1. The head gaskets suck
2. The shuttle valve sucks
3. The front driveshaft needs to be replaced on D2s.
4. You must do your maintenance.

But overall: driving a lifted Land Rover is awesome. Love it.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zf transmissions are very good if properly maintained...

Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 AM
TReK

I agree with you 100%, it would be nice to hear more positivity, see more pictures, and hear Rover success stories of obstacles climbed, rivers forded, Jeeps pulled out of ditches, etc...

...BUT the reality is this forum is for people to get their questions answered and their issues fixed, not to tell everyone how they drove to the grocery store and came home without the "3 Amigos" coming on and that their drive-shaft did not fail and kill their transmission

Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by oysterhead
.......Not sure that the failure rate is high. But hey this is the best part! Use it as an excuse to your wife that you need new "shocks". Then order an OME lift!.....
I am working this method right now with my wife!

"Hear that honey? Whenever we go over a bump, you hear that squeek? That means we need new shocks and springs and everyone recommends getting new tires at the same time"

Old 12-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead

I'd say this:

1. The head gaskets suck
2. The shuttle valve sucks
3. The front driveshaft needs to be replaced on D2s.
4. You must do your maintenance.

But overall: driving a lifted Land Rover is awesome. Love it.
5. I would add replace your CPS crank position sensor at 60k or less while doing the maintenance. Who wants to waist time troubleshooting a non starting Discovery for a $65 preventative maintenance part.

I've aways thought there must have been good & bad quality days at the assembly Rover plant. Some Discovery's are good some are plueged by the gremblems. It seems they need better torque wrenchs though, a lot of bolts were not tight on my engine. Comparitivly, after working on my dad's Honda Odessesy, seems at like Honda they blue loctite everything. But no room for you hands! I guess a engine that never needs worked on except for a timming belt change, or plenty of room to work on a Rover engine that needs head gaskets at 60 to 100,000 miles.

Quick Reply: This is a scary forum!