Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scored a SD Rack! [PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Scored a SD Rack! [PICS]

Just bought a SD rack off craigslist. This guys happens to be a Land Rover Mechanic. Went to the Howard Orloff dealer and he helped me put it on. I never knew these things were that huge. I was just about to put it inside the cargo area. haha

I know these are no longer made or imported to the US. So this rack is hard to get by these days.

Also, you can seriously feel how heavy the truck drives now. Down the expressway, theres a lot of drag and like I'm carrying a lot of load. Here goes my 1 mpg.

Now, will anyone be able to steal the rack? Its bolted on by 2 hex and one long screw. Its not like the Safari racks at AB where there are tamper proof bolts. I think I will do what UrbanP did, get those special key bolts.

PICTURES

Now check out the garage clearance. Have about couple centimetes to work with.

-
-
-

Last edited by Torancis_LR; 08-14-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:05 AM
TReK

very cool score!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I am jealous!!! Looks real good though!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long did it take you and a LR mech to install it.... multiply that by about 2 and thats how long it would take someone to take it off... they are heavy and hard to remove, especially alone... i wouldnt worry too much about anyone stealing it...

Old 07-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by discoxd
how long did it take you and a LR mech to install it.... multiply that by about 2 and thats how long it would take someone to take it off... they are heavy and hard to remove, especially alone... i wouldnt worry too much about anyone stealing it...
It actually was really fast, about 12mins. I was thinking in wheeling it home and putting it on myself not knowing what a beast these are. I know for sure that would be impossible.
God forbid someone will attempt to steal it. They will need two people and some fast hands.

I will do some preventative measure getting those special keyed bolts.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I hate you.

You can adjust how far up your garage door will go, there is a adjustment screw on the opener, either on the chain or the back of the motor, it all depends on the type/brand of opener.
Now how would you have felt had youi gotten that thing home and it would not have fit into the garage?
Yes worry about theft, there was a post yesterday with a guy who bought a Voyager roof rack for $50 with no mounting hardware...a Voyager roof rack is a SD look-a-like, 2 guys who really want it will have it off your truck before you can come back out with your bagel and cappiccino.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Now just get some chicken coop flooring for it to make it useful.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
I hate you.

You can adjust how far up your garage door will go, there is a adjustment screw on the opener, either on the chain or the back of the motor, it all depends on the type/brand of opener.
Now how would you have felt had youi gotten that thing home and it would not have fit into the garage?
Yes worry about theft, there was a post yesterday with a guy who bought a Voyager roof rack for $50 with no mounting hardware...a Voyager roof rack is a SD look-a-like, 2 guys who really want it will have it off your truck before you can come back out with your bagel and cappiccino.
Yeah, its a bummer not fitting into the garage and also the 102" whips get in the way. I have to wrench it off every time I get into the garage. I will look into the adjustment screw on the garage opener.

And I've read that thread which made me concern of someone stealing it. B/c in the city, there are some crazy people.

Now, it needs some lights. Do you guys recommend Hella 4000? Good grief, they are like $150 each x 4. I'll have to keep searching if any are on craigslist.

Oh, I'll need to find some flooring mats with holes for sunlight coming in. I think I've seen a thread here with someone doing that.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you get the chicken coop flooring?

Old 07-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Robmcin
Where do you get the chicken coop flooring?
TSC (Tractor Supply Company)

Quick Reply: Scored a SD Rack! [PICS]