Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam or

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Seafoam or

Ok so now that new oil pump in and oil pan cleaned up. I do have less oil leaks but wondering about running seafoam in the crank case or something else to help clean it out?
And if so how long do I leave it in before oil change?
running Rotella T4 in it right now

Old 05-08-2020, 11:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

About to open a can of worms here but there is little evidence that the stuff does anything, anecdotal evidence... maybe. It puts on a show for sure but there are many posts on this very forum of toasted O2 sensors and ruined cats and along with multiple other thrown codes after the old Seafoam is thrown into the mix.

I had the fortunate experience of doing head gaskets and saw first hand what neglect from the previous owners had done to the heads, valve train and cylinders. Even if the stuff managed to knock some carbon and gunk off any of the above mentioned components there is no way I’d want that material to be processed downstream. The T4 Rotella is a high detergent mix, I am sure you know that and that’s why you are using it. I’d keep using it and just do regular oil changes.

Supporters will say “ Sea Foam has been around since 1942, how could it not work and be around that long?!!” Well, it’s cheap. Very cheap. Less than a pack of Marlboros in many parts of the country.

I look at it this way, if you have a truck with an extensive service history with oil changes at regular intervals there is little to be gained from seafoam. But if you have a truck with little or no documented service with multiple owners (most of us are in this category) you run a very real risk of causing more problems.

This post will be a siren call to $10 can mechanics. Sorry.

Last edited by Frank4; 05-08-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I slap some seafoam in the gas tank, and I've ran it thru the intake multiple times on many different vehicles. It's great for finding an exhaust leak that's for sure, but I've only seen real improvement from it 1 time. That was on my 97 RR that blew black smoke out whenever you passed someone. Previous owner was a woman and she never took it to the limits. I ran one can of seafoam thru the intake and immediately hit the road. It was funny seeing a 3 year old Yellow RR going down the freeway looking like it was dying. Afterwards it ran smoother and I never saw another puff of black smoke out the tailpipe. Besides that one time nah it's never done much except point out a leaky exhaust and scare the neighbors.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:53 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Seafoam in the tank or through the intake is vastly different from Seafoam in the crankcase.
I wouldn't put it in the crankcase without a good reason to do so. Like, have you taken off the rocker covers and discovered a lot of coke or deposits or other evidence of neglect? That's what I discovered in my '99, and I followed the directions on the can for a crankcase clean without any trouble. Basically, get the engine warm, add half a can (I think) and let it idle for about 5 minutes. Don't rev it at all. Stop the engine and change the oil right away.

Last edited by mollusc; 05-09-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

I was planning on doing an induction cleaning and throwing some in the crankcase before my next oil change. This video is pretty interesting:

The following 2 users liked this post by boston4:
cvhyatt (05-09-2020), NewToTheTwo (05-11-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 09:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

Rotella is a very good oil. I ran it for years in my previous 2004 and the engine was like new inside when it was time for head gaskets. The engine was somewhat neglected before I got it. I could see caked deposits inside the valve cover through the oil filler. I dropped the oil pan and cleaned it out to help remove gunk.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:59 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

What do we think about the Rotellla t4 vs t5 vs t6?

Old 05-14-2020, 01:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

I prefer the full synth T6 but That is just me.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

I'll throw my credibility to the wind and suggest the Seafoam does "work" however it depends on your goal. It the days of batch fired injection when fuel was sprayed out of all (or half) the injectors at once, there was time for fuel to condense back out of the air somewhat before a particular cylinder's intake valve opened and drew the mixture into the combustion chamber. Carbon build up in the intake tract was a nasty side effect and often it would coat over the tips of the injector itself and create atomization issues. Sucking Seafoam into the intake mani and allowing it to soak will help break up this buildup. So will adding injector cleaner like Redline SI-1 or even Seafoam to the fuel tank regularly. I'm not a big fan of sending all that crap down the exhaust system at one time either however cars with batch-fired injection usually don't have pre and post cat O2 sensors, and their cats are potentially pretty old and ineffective anyway, not that hastening their demise is a good idea. I haven't yet read up on what type of injection Bosch Motronic 5.2.1 uses on however I'd be really surprised if it wasn't sequential injection.

I can't say whether or not Seafoam a good idea in all Discos, perhaps D1s and early D2s use batch fired injection and therefore could benefit from an intake cleaning. I would think removing crankcase deposits would be the best application across the board and obviously that doesn't impact your exhaust system. There's another view that removing 200k miles of buildup can lead to oil consumption now that worn passages are clear so unless you have a definite problem, and goal, I think it's probably not a good idea to to use it just 'cause. I have used the stuff and taken engines apart later to see noticeable effect. In the parlance of our times, "epic smoke" is an interesting bonus as well

Old 05-14-2020, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Let see here I live in mobile home community. So epic smoke would be AWSOME lol

but cleaning the system is the ultimate goal

Quick Reply: Seafoam or