Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SeaFoam

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SeaFoam

I'm looking for clarification on two points:
1) for aD1: which is the best vacuum hose to insert SeaFoam to the plenum (TB) for the injection cleaning. A picture would help.
2) Is it OK to run the car with SeaFoam in the oil. For how long? I thought that it just gets poured in with the old oil, run the engine for a few minutes and then change the oil. After reading some posts, it seems that some drivers drive the car as usual for a few days before changing the oil. Does SF in the oil damage anything if I drive the car and for how long can I drive the car for?

Thanks in advance
SD

Old 06-15-2010, 09:54 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Soccer Dad
I'm looking for clarification on two points:
1) for aD1: which is the best vacuum hose to insert SeaFoam to the plenum (TB) for the injection cleaning. A picture would help.
2) Is it OK to run the car with SeaFoam in the oil. For how long? I thought that it just gets poured in with the old oil, run the engine for a few minutes and then change the oil. After reading some posts, it seems that some drivers drive the car as usual for a few days before changing the oil. Does SF in the oil damage anything if I drive the car and for how long can I drive the car for?

Thanks in advance
SD
Personally I would not drive around for a few days with a can of seafoam in the oil. Have people done it without their engine blowing up? Sure. Have they done a used oil anaylsis afterwards to see how it affected their engine? Probably not. If you think you absolutely need to do a flush then I would put in the seafoam the run the truck for 30 minutes revving to 2500 rpm every few minutes then drain. If you need a really strong solvent try berryman's chemtool only keep it in 15-20 minutes though. If you want to try more mild cleaning try replacing a quart of oil with MMO for a few short short OCI's with rotella 15w40 or 10w30.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This hose you want to use

Attached Thumbnails SeaFoam-gems.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Personally I would not drive around for a few days with a can of seafoam in the oil. Have people done it without their engine blowing up? Sure. Have they done a used oil anaylsis afterwards to see how it affected their engine? Probably not. If you think you absolutely need to do a flush then I would put in the seafoam the run the truck for 30 minutes revving to 2500 rpm every few minutes then drain. If you need a really strong solvent try berryman's chemtool only keep it in 15-20 minutes though. If you want to try more mild cleaning try replacing a quart of oil with MMO for a few short short OCI's with rotella 15w40 or 10w30.
The instructions on the Seafoam can instruct you to "add to crankcase," so I'm hoping it's safe, I ran a 1/2 can in the crankcase for a 3000 mile interval, didn't blow up and I haven't had any other issues since.

If you're looking for a miracle, Seafoam in the oil probably isn't going to satisfy, but it won't hurt your engine if you add it in the correct amounts. Probably better just to switch to high detergent oil as suggested above.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 AM
TReK

I would say use your own judgement as far as cost benefit goes. Is your engine truly sludged? Then drastic measures may be needed (like driving around with rubbing alcohol and colemann fuel in your oil for 3000 miles). Also not sure the exact directions on the can but I believe it goes something like remove the oil when it looks dirty, if your engine is truly sludged you oil will be black after 30 minutes. And also you need to start with fresh oil.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seafoamed my cobalt, I add the Seafoam to the brake booster line running to the intake manifold, then some in the fuel and the remainder in the oil.

ALWAYS changing the oil afterwards though. And believe me it really does a good job of cleaning it out. I did a turbo swap on the cobalt and pulled the intake manifold off and the valves were COVERED in soot and carbon before hand. And after the treatment they wer ALMOST as clean as new. So that is to be said for it.

And my car only had 15k miles on it.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Buy 2 cans, one for the gas tank and 1 complete can for the induction cleaning. Do you know how to do it? Also use some carb cleaner and clean out your throttle body, both sides of the plate.
Make sure the Seafoam sits for a least 1/2 hour plus before starting it and making lots of smoke.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you go into more detail on performing the induction cleaning please. I have never tried anything like that and would like to know more about how to perform the induction cleaning and what to expect. I am sure there are several more members out there that may be in a similar position as me.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Buy 2 cans, one for the gas tank and 1 complete can for the induction cleaning. Do you know how to do it? Also use some carb cleaner and clean out your throttle body, both sides of the plate.
Make sure the Seafoam sits for a least 1/2 hour plus before starting it and making lots of smoke.
I never understood why you would let it sit 30MINs.

The can doesn't say too. And it just seems by that time the seafoam would be dry for sure..

But I guess, what you should do is run the whole can through it then let it sit. I personally think running it while doing it is better than letting it sit, and I guess this kinda does both. A whole can is a long time to run with it constantly pouring in and then sitting at the end cant hurt anything

Old 06-16-2010, 01:00 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
I never understood why you would let it sit 30MINs.

The can doesn't say too. And it just seems by that time the seafoam would be dry for sure..
Have you seen the smoke after it sits for 30 mins? Seafoam is about 50% pale oil which has a flash point of 300 and some odd degrees, it is not going to evaporate any time soon. The reason to let it sit is to let the solvents have time to penetrate the carbon.

Quick Reply: SeaFoam