Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SeaFoam vs. AMSOIL Power Foam for induction cleaning. Anyone! Thought?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default SeaFoam vs. AMSOIL Power Foam for induction cleaning. Anyone! Thought?

I was reading a few GM motors/ Jeep boards and a few people claim they have used this AMSOIL Power Foam going on 10 years for induction cleaning. I have done SeaFoam & BG Intake cleaner but never tried the AmSoil Power Foam. Seems like the foaming action on the inside of the upper/lower manifold may work better for cleaning out gunk. And Rover engines are gunky. Seems like similar directions. Spray it in, wait 30min and drive like a bat out of Hell.
I know AMsoil makes great products like BG. I kinda feel like SeaFoam is snake oil since its $6 - $10 @ every autoparts store. SeaFoam has been around for ever(since 1942), but so has induction cleaning by water. Google it!
What does everyone think. What are the ingredients most of these cleaners use Naphtha, alcohol, Ethanol, petroleum distillates. Just curious?

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/apf.aspx

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...treatment.html

Old 08-26-2010, 04:05 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would try water first, just make sure the engine is hot and have someone rev to about 2k rpms and slowly let a couple gallongs trickle through. Don't stop the engine for anything though. I've had the same results with water that I have had with seafoam. I hear the amsoil stuff is good though too. I know seafoam is IPA, naptha and pale oil.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Read the disclaimer at the bottom of the Amsoil page, not to be used on engines with a MAF sensor.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:57 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
Read the disclaimer at the bottom of the Amsoil page, not to be used on engines with a MAF sensor.
cya stuff, people use it all the time on modern vehicles (especially like on our trucks where the MAF sensors are a fair ways away from the plenum). Its a sham people can't and follow directions. Many great products that were once available to DIYers have either been reformulated or pulled off the shelf because knuckle heads that don't follow directions.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I dont see why it would make any differance if a MAF sensor is there if you spray it down the throttle body.(Totolly bypassing the MAF sensor.) I will look closer at the directions as I did see that at the bottom of the page now that I looked.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the best way to clean the throttle body and intake is take off the engine and clean it by hand....

Old 08-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

agthird,
That is probably true but, every 3/4 months I don't want to remove my upper intake and replace the plenum gasket, re-torque the bolts. Spray down the ports and use a plastic bottle brush. I agree that would really clean it up great. But I would only do that when changing out plugs every 30,000 to 40,000 miles

Old 08-27-2010, 11:24 AM
TReK

The induction cleaning will also help keep the piston tops and valves clean.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by agthird
the best way to clean the throttle body and intake is take off the engine and clean it by hand....
Don't ever try to clean your MAF, in any fashion, odds are you will kill it and at $260 plus for an 03, it would ruin your day.
Seafoam was originally a company set up to make products, additives, for the military, they have a long history, most of which is very good and it does a great job cleaning out the induction system when you follow the old direction which was 1 can in the gas tank, before a long trip, and 1 can thru the manifold along with cleaning the t/body. I will not use it in the engine oil though.
As for B&G, can't get any better, only problem, most won't spend that sort of money even though it is by far the best on the market.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

intake=manifold...sorry

Quick Reply: SeaFoam vs. AMSOIL Power Foam for induction cleaning. Anyone! Thought?