Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat warmer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat warmer?

My seat warmer on driver side is out what should I look for I do see a big yellow fuse under seat can I do a continuity check on the fuse and will I have continuty on all 4 prongs?

2003 disco HSE 53,000

Old 04-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: seat warmer?

All you need to do is check theres power to the relay / fuseetc. and you can also as you say do a continuity of the heating element itself, that will determine if its duff.

There should be 2 plugs with 2 pins each one going to the bum cushion and the other to backrest section, thats where you need to to a continuity check of each heater mat.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Yours must be dif !
I have a 4 prong yellow fuse its like 1'x1'x1' square and 3 or 4 of the small reg size fuses 15Amp and 20amp I think thes are the back butt adjusters!??
If any one has that same yellow fuses do you have continuity on all 4 prongs?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hi, no there not different, all markets use the same system.

Mine has electric / heated seats, and yours being an HSE model i would assume has the same. What your looking at is the satellite fuse box for the electric seats, how ever, even if its all connected and wired into multi plugs, there will still be only 2 wires going to each heating element, 2 for the backrest and 2 for the cushion.

You should be able to see / follow the 2 sets of wires "dissappearing" into the seat trim, if you can find them, trace them into to which ever multiplug they go to, and then use those 2 pins (for each) to do a continuity check to test the elements.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Three Wheeling

I assume that if the light on the button comes "on" but the seat doesn't heat... it's probably a heating element issue, not a fuse issue?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Urban Panzer, You know my back never did heat up just my butt dont know about the passanger? But I see 2 sets of wires are for your butt and the other two are for my back! I will trace them out ?

Yarddawg it is an HSE have you had a element go out befor? and if so how hard is it to replace?

Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Three Wheeling

No, I don't believe I have an HSE. And I've never replaced any part of the seat warmers before. I just recently noticed that the drivers side warmers don't work while the passenger side does. But the light on both are "on".

So, my assumption is that it's not a fuse issue, but a heating element one. Can anyone confirm?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Can any one tell me if I should have continuity on all four prongs on the yellow fuse under the drivers seat?????
Something I never said was my seat button does light up![&o]

Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I havent changed one on a Disco (yet im sure it will come) but i have done both fronts on my father-inlaws Rangie P38.

Its a fiddly time consuming job, but take your time and its relatively straightforward. In a nutshell, you have to remove the seat from the car, then simply and carefully unclip enough of the trim / cover so you can get your hands in to release the trim hooks holding it all together, its then simply a matter of removing the old one and feeding in the new heater mat carefully. The original trim is held with little bent spikey things (cant remember name), but for me they are sharp and rubbish at the same time, so i used small tie-wraps or zip-ties i think you guys call em to hold it all in again, works a treat !! and easier to remove if you ever have to do it again.

My local dealer told me they never evenbother removing the old mat as it is held with adhesive to the seat foam, they just slid the new ones over the top, but I took what they said onbaord and both me an the father -inlaw agreed wewould remove the old one first.

The whole procedure is actually in the workshop manual if you have it.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Drifting

needs a a lower heating pad/element, maybe upper but most likely the lower is shortedyou have to remove the seat, remove leather and replace heating element.

Quick Reply: seat warmer?