Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second New Power Steering Pump Not Pumping Either

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that is what I am trying to figure out now - is there anything in the steering box that can malfunction which will not allow for pressure to build? It's obvious that the power steering pump is responsible for building up the pressure but... anything else?

Very strange!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Mudding

After trying several ways of bleeding the steering box, either by myself or with someone, the results are the same. Since this was the second new power steering pump back to back, I have conceide that my mechanic is right and it has to be the reaction valve within the steering box.

What are the odds that two new, not remanufactured, power steering pumps failed back to back? I have an email into the manufactuer to see if they had any bad batches of pumps.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:33 AM
5th Gear

Your system is behaving exactly as mine. Putting in the rebuilt pump fixed it. I don't think it is your steering box. I think you have a bad pump. It would be interesting to find out where these pumps are coming from and if there is a mechanical failure of some type in all of them.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

The only issues I've ever had with steering boxes are:

1) They leak from every seal, bushings worn.....but the box still works.
2) Your out of adjustment for your steering wheel "play"......but the box still works.

I don't recall ever seeing a box just stop working? I'm also not a hard core 4x4'er though, I may learn something new when all this unfolds!!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Mudding

I don't think it is my steering box either as there were not issues before power steering fluid spewed everywhere and right now there are no leaks with the box, pump or hoses.

I will have to figure out where to get a pump rebuild kit from and rebuild the extra pump I have sitting on the bench which was the first new pump I received.

Being in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, it's not so easy to find a rebuild kit or to get one to me anytime soon without paying a good chunk of change!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by GURU06
I don't think it is my steering box either as there were not issues before power steering fluid spewed everywhere and right now there are no leaks with the box, pump or hoses.

I will have to figure out where to get a pump rebuild kit from and rebuild the extra pump I have sitting on the bench which was the first new pump I received.

Being in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, it's not so easy to find a rebuild kit or to get one to me anytime soon without paying a good chunk of change!
Ok so had anyone figured this out for God's sake I'm having the same problem I'm on my second pump

Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Mudding

ogryders910 -

I am awaiting for my rebuild kit to arrive this week and hopefully I will have the rebuilt pump installed this week also. Once I have this done I will post my results unless someone has more information for you before then.

If you have bought a new pump or pumps then I would keep on the supplier for a replacement until your problem is resolved.

In talking with Dadofaroverowner I am convinced at this time that it is the pump not the steering box since there is no pressure coming out of the bleed nipple as I also mentioned before.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:36 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by GURU06
ogryders910 -

I am awaiting for my rebuild kit to arrive this week and hopefully I will have the rebuilt pump installed this week also. Once I have this done I will post my results unless someone has more information for you before then.

If you have bought a new pump or pumps then I would keep on the supplier for a replacement until your problem is resolved.

In talking with Dadofaroverowner I am convinced at this time that it is the pump not the steering box since there is no pressure coming out of the bleed nipple as I also mentioned before.
Ok I believe I will try unscrew the pressure line going into the pump fill reservoir with fluid start the disco and see if it dribbles out or shoots out with pressure that should tell me something

Old 03-18-2014, 04:40 AM
4th Gear

And if all these rebuilt pumps are bad would a brand new one from land rover work

Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 AM
4th Gear

Good news found my problem the reservoir had a felt filter inside that broke up and glowed the hole to the pump hose, I emptied the fluid washed out and picked the crap out of it and installed the tank and now I have power steering. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Second New Power Steering Pump Not Pumping Either