Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary Air Injector Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:17 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Air Injector Pump

Hi All, I have a 2002 Disco 2 with 120K. I only use the truck to drive to and from work. I am not a mechanic and have limited mechanical abilities ( I have already downloaded the RAVE manual). With that being said I have monitored the forums reading threads about issues that I have with my Disco everything from door actuators to windsheild wiper pump (all of which I plan on doing myself, although taking the window and door frame out scare the hell out of me). With that being said, I think that this is something I can handle.

I have been reading about this now for weeks and always find good info but when I search the threads to double check the information I can never seem to be able to find it.

So here goes. I get the same (Normal) cold start noise as everyone else. I plan to take the SAI pump of and check the filter and all that tommorow. I do have a few rivets loose on the body. So here are my questions.

1. How tight should the three bolts holding the pump to mount be? I can move mine around easily by hand and I plan to tighten the hell out of them.
2. I read something in the threads about spraying WD-40 into the pump and of course I cannot find that anymore. Does anyone know about this? Recommend this? Where to spray it?
3. I don't have a rivet gun (never needed it before). Anybody recommend a subsitute for this? I was going to use zip ties and tighten extremely tight, yes/no?

Any help with this would be great.

Aaron

Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First do you have any fault codes for the SAI and what are they. Go to your Rave manual and get the specs on the bolts and procedure.
WD40 is sold every where and has been for the last 30 plus years. That being said, PB Blaster is a good way to go also.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First do you have any fault codes for the SAI and what are they. Go to your Rave manual and get the specs on the bolts and procedure.
WD40 is sold every where and has been for the last 30 plus years. That being said, PB Blaster is a good way to go also.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:43 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike

No fault codes as of now, just loud "normal" Shop Vac annoying noise!

I have WD-40, but just want to make sure of where to put it before I do. I would hate to screw things up. I just re-read my last post. I didn't mean i can't find WD40 anymore, I meant I couldn't find the thread that was talking about spraying it into the SAI pump!! Sorry about that.

I got the Specs from the RAVE on the bolts ... thanks!!

Thanks!!

Last edited by nyyrus; 10-22-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM
5th Gear
Default Update:

I took the SAI off over the weekend and worked on it. I replaced broken rivots with small zipties which tightened the pump housing alot. I also checked the filter and cleaned it out with air. I cleaned the entire pump out with air. Blew some WD40 through the pump and then hit it with compressed air. I think I could proabably hit it with some more WD40 one morning beforing running it during a cold start up. After all that, the pump is now about 70% quieter then it was before and running good.

Any other suggestions to get this thing even quieter?

Thanks

Aaron

Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Mudding

what kind of noise does this dirty pump make.. lord knows I have a host of noises coming from engine room..