Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secret CDL Transfer Case?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secret CDL Transfer Case?

We just got the Xmas Tree back from the body shop you can search my albums if anyone is interested in seeing how nice the truck came out after the $4000.00 worth of damage was fixed. I don't have any before shots because I was so bummed out.
The Discovery II is built in 09/2000 I was wondering if anyone knows if I have the secret Discovery I transfer case with the CDL abandoned in it because of the build date. I want to bring everyone to one of the weather stations above the tree line in Tahoe but I wanted to know if I have the CDL in the case that I can possibly quickly fab up the rudimentary lever to activate the CDL outside the Disco. as the trail head is an easy entry but the exit on the top of the ridge line required the ARB locker in my buddies Jeep Cherokee to Exit the trail on some moderate rocks on 31" tires.
Also I was told that if the vehicle has the frame counter twister from the factory I can not disconnect the front sway bars,use rock sliders,and on and on blah blah UGH.. What does this servo motor look like? were is it located on the frame and would a non sunroof SE even have this feature if it was built in 9/2000?
Also I'm looking to mount a synthetic winch and as you can see in the photos I have the factory Moose Booster any suggestions on mounting the winch properly without butchering the truck or installing the ARB bumper?
If anyone wants to drop a STFA on me I can handle it just leave me some helpful links.
Happy Fourth Everyone! Support Our Troops and Everyone Stay Safe Today!

Last edited by JMON; 07-04-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: I can't spell;_)
Old 07-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Look up Urban Panzer, he did a hidden winch mount on his DII.

As for the CDL, you will need to crawl under the truck and look for the CDL nipple.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What are you refering to when you say, counter twister??

Old 07-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What are you refering to when you say, counter twister??
I think hes referring to the ACE system. If he is, then he needs to be told that an ACE equipped D2 has more articulation than a non-ACE D2. The ACE system "turns off" and basically "disconnects" the rollbars when offroad, not physically, but the articulation gained is quite a bit.

Yes you could use sway bar (or ROLL BAR for proper name) disconnects with ACE, I see no reason why not, even considering them myself.

however .........what you need to do is take it offroad and see if you "need" them, I bet its a long time and you'll be doing hardcore stuff before they would be needed / worthwhile.

Whoever is telling you all this Bull....IGNORE him coz he has NO IDEA what hes on about.........

Why the hell would ACE affect rocksliders ?? ke ?

Is he a Jeep driver by any chance ? :P

And yes your truck WILL have the CDL components in the transfer case.

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 07-04-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by JMON
We just got the Xmas Tree back from the body shop you can search my albums if anyone is interested in seeing how nice the truck came out after the $4000.00 worth of damage was fixed. I don't have any before shots because I was so bummed out.
The Discovery II is built in 09/2000 I was wondering if anyone knows if I have the secret Discovery I transfer case with the CDL abandoned in it because of the build date. I want to bring everyone to one of the weather stations above the tree line in Tahoe but I wanted to know if I have the CDL in the case that I can possibly quickly fab up the rudimentary lever to activate the CDL outside the Disco. as the trail head is an easy entry but the exit on the top of the ridge line required the ARB locker in my buddies Jeep Cherokee to Exit the trail on some moderate rocks on 31" tires.
Also I was told that if the vehicle has the frame counter twister from the factory I can not disconnect the front sway bars,use rock sliders,and on and on blah blah UGH.. What does this servo motor look like? were is it located on the frame and would a non sunroof SE even have this feature if it was built in 9/2000?
Also I'm looking to mount a synthetic winch and as you can see in the photos I have the factory Moose Booster any suggestions on mounting the winch properly without butchering the truck or installing the ARB bumper?
If anyone wants to drop a STFA on me I can handle it just leave me some helpful links.
Happy Fourth Everyone! Support Our Troops and Everyone Stay Safe Today!
You have gotten some reall, REALLY, bad information on your truck. Consider sending me your tele number so I can point you in the right direction.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:49 AM
Three Wheeling

Prop Shaft-Drive Shaft,Sway Bar-Roll Bar I'll have to brush up on all the episodes of Top Gear the Wife and I have saved on the DVR if I'm not using the correct terminology.
The Xmas Tree came with no original window sticker nor any manuals when we purchased it Just a clean title that I just finished fouling up to the tune of $4k in front end damage..I went on to You Tube and watched a ton of 2001 On/Off Road tests of the Disco II were I came to the conclusion that the ACE system was some counter rotational force acting on the frame twist to make the Rover handle better on the road, I did not come away with the impression that it was a intuitive sway bar loosening off road assistance system hence the question on weather or not you could pull the pins on the sway bars to gain some moderate articulation and keep the wheel stand shows to a minimum.
I am a Jeep driver we sold our TJ(We still have a j10 Jeep pick up Truck) to get the Disco II so we were able to take the dogs(one of the dogs weighs 180 lbs) and an adequate amount of gear with us off road(not possible in the TJ). My Wife whom has had multiple Rovers suggested that the Discovery was the way to go and after multiple Camel Trophy Videos later I was thoroughly convinced as well.
I'll have to check out Urban Panzers winch instal it sounds interesting. Thanks for all the suggestions for the truck. Mike Thanks for offering to talk to me directly about the Discovery II to clear up any misconceptions I might have,Jeremy.
Also Atlantic British says don't use their rock sliders on an ACE equipped Discovery II this is were I came across that information.

Last edited by JMON; 07-05-2009 at 02:52 AM. Reason: can't spell
Old 07-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Winching

So, do you still need to know how to Engage your CDL?

Old 07-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JMON
Prop Shaft-Drive Shaft,Sway Bar-Roll Bar I'll have to brush up on all the episodes of Top Gear the Wife and I have saved on the DVR if I'm not using the correct terminology.
The Xmas Tree came with no original window sticker nor any manuals when we purchased it Just a clean title that I just finished fouling up to the tune of $4k in front end damage..I went on to You Tube and watched a ton of 2001 On/Off Road tests of the Disco II were I came to the conclusion that the ACE system was some counter rotational force acting on the frame twist to make the Rover handle better on the road, I did not come away with the impression that it was a intuitive sway bar loosening off road assistance system hence the question on weather or not you could pull the pins on the sway bars to gain some moderate articulation and keep the wheel stand shows to a minimum.
I am a Jeep driver we sold our TJ(We still have a j10 Jeep pick up Truck) to get the Disco II so we were able to take the dogs(one of the dogs weighs 180 lbs) and an adequate amount of gear with us off road(not possible in the TJ). My Wife whom has had multiple Rovers suggested that the Discovery was the way to go and after multiple Camel Trophy Videos later I was thoroughly convinced as well.
I'll have to check out Urban Panzers winch instal it sounds interesting. Thanks for all the suggestions for the truck. Mike Thanks for offering to talk to me directly about the Discovery II to clear up any misconceptions I might have,Jeremy.
Also Atlantic British says don't use their rock sliders on an ACE equipped Discovery II this is were I came across that information.
This is just nuts!! lol..........I cannot think of one even remote reason why!!!!

Go here and watch the top right video, that will explain the ACE system to you.

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/videos_general.html

Old 07-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Three Wheeling

All Righty then I retract my last statement about ACE not sensing when you're off road. I can see that I'm just going to have to take the Discovery out to see what it can do instead of trying to unhook everything like you would on a Jeep(sway bars,traction control, and on and on).
I took a trip to the underside of the Rover and I do have the abandoned CDL case. I found a few suppliers for the 04 linkage and shifter. I'll just have to STFA for the correct wires to re hook up as well as cut when the time comes.
Thanks for the video link regarding the ACE system Urban Panzer they really cleared up what the ACE system really does.
As far as Atlantic British making a notation not to use Rock Sliders with ACE on the Discovery II I'm sure it's a some sort of legal issue which is typical in the sue crazy US.
I'll call them later today to see if they void some sort of warranty which is useless on a 9 year old vehicle or if they are genuinely concerned that it is going to damage the ACE sensor system on the truck frame in some way.
My Toyota Buddies were way the heck out on the Rubicon when the came across a gentleman in a Discovery on 31" tires(they were on nothing smaller than 37" tires) They asked the guy how the heck he got way out there and he replied carefully. One of my buddies mind was so blown he kept telling the story for a month after they got back;_)

Old 07-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

JMON you will be amazed at what a bone stock Disco can and will do.
I wish I had saved the link but a off road mag bought a '95 DI and ran it up into the mountains in CA with the all seasons that came on it when they bought it, it was on of their favoriet trails to run with a heavily moded Jeep.
They reported that all though the bnone stock Disco had to work at it and sometimes make 2-3 runs at a obstical it still made it.
Then they did all of there mods and drove that same trail again and they concluded that all though the mods were nice they were not necassary for the average weekend off roader.
I am going to have to look for this video, I had it bookmarked for the longest time but then it got lost.

Quick Reply: Secret CDL Transfer Case?