Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self help feeling like a fool for asking...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Self help feeling like a fool for asking...

This site has many members that know much about problems that we all face with the trucks we own. Asking for help at times lets the ones that know much feel like gods I suppose. I for one hate that when I ask a question and am made to feel like a fool for asking said question. I do appreciate all the help and advice that has been given to me but at times regret asking the question due to how the answer is given. To all you senior members please don't offer help and ask for follow up on issues when you make the one asking the questions feel like a fool for asking. I have read the RAVE and I am not a mechanic or pardon me a Land Rover Tech... but the RAVE like anything else is written to be understood by someone in the field. Its like a farmer trying to read and understand how to do open heart surgery. If you offer help don't assume the person asking for help understands the RAVE, if the RAVE was always right or made complete sense I for one would not ask for help.

Aaron

Last edited by aarongregor; 12-15-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In defense of senior members, I think many people are in desperate need of using the search button. If you are making an effort to understand your issue and come to people with a somewhat educated question, you'll get a much more respectful response. I mean, how many times are we going to see the same problems time and time again when a handful of people have answered those very questions probably a hundred times so I understand when the more experienced members get snarky. I maybe new here but feel their pain being part of other car forums and reading newbie questions that are very easy to find out but just want an answer with little or no research.

Last edited by SolbergFanBoi; 12-16-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So what can I help you with Aaron?
You can pm me if you're not comfortable asking in public.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SolbergFanBoi
In defense of senior members, I think many people are in desperate need of using the search button........
^^^Couldn't have said it better myself, but I agree that certain people can come with hint (or a large helping) of condescension.

The "new members must read" section and is too oft ignored as well.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trick to the internet is post it anyway. in the 20 arrogant or downright demeaning statements, counter questions designed to make them feel high and mighty, and other rubbish that get thrown at you, you can usually find 1 or 2 that just try to answer the question as is...then just go from there. there are some awesome people on this board who are more then willing to answer even the silliest questions honestly, evne if theyve been asked a dozen times before, are in the faq or stickies, or burried somewhere in rave. for instance, post a question about what the correct tire pressure should be, cause i know what it says on the door, and i just dont damn believe it haha

Old 12-16-2011, 01:00 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
trick to the internet is post it anyway.......
Great Advice : Don't search, Just post.....and junk up the forum with 75,000,000 posts about how to change the transmission filter on a Discovery, when it's sitting in there in the tech section

As long as people start out their posts with "I attempted to search, but couldn't find what I was looking for..." the everyone seems to be cool with it. You can tell when someone hasn't read the forum rules as soon as they post some generic issue with no background information on their truck, etc,...and that seems to be what gets people fired up.

And if you're speaking of someone in particular with the initials D.M., he may treat you like a dunce, but he'll get your phone number, call you, and walk you through your issues, which is pretty darn awesome IMHO..

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 12-16-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I always wonder if when I see a 1st post if it's a:
Mechanic getting paid to fix something they have no business fixing.
Used car dealer that got in over their heads on what they thought they could make money on.
A Troll etc..
If you don't feel like answering a question you feel is stupid.. then don't respond at all.
Being on this forum for the short amount of time I've been, I've seen one person in particular that preaches the Rave manual day after day. I say Good! He also spends more time finding the sh*t nearly everyone else is too lazy to look for. He should be commended for helping others and promoting self research and troublshooting habits like RTFM.

Cheers

Old 12-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Great Advice : Don't search, Just post.....and junk up the forum with 75,000,000 posts about how to change the transmission filter on a Discovery, when it's sitting in there in the tech section

As long as people start out their posts with "I attempted to search, but couldn't find what I was looking for..." the everyone seems to be cool with it. You can tell when someone hasn't read the forum rules as soon as they post some generic issue with no background information on their truck, etc,...and that seems to be what gets people fired up.

And if you're speaking of someone in particular with the initials D.M., he may treat you like a dunce, but he'll get your phone number, call you, and walk you through your issues, which is pretty darn awesome IMHO..
steppin close to the hyphotetical forums ledge?

Old 12-16-2011, 05:05 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
steppin close to the hyphotetical forums ledge?
Always, bro

Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have and continue to learn so much from this forum. I posted this because I felt it needed to be said. Most of us are on this forum because we are idots looking for advice and to learn. I have read so many posts on here where members give advice but make the one asking feel like a fool. Discomike is and was awesome, he and Savannahbuzz taught me a truck load...people need to be more like the two I just mentioned when offering help. Friends and family thought I was insane when I told them what I was going to do to my Rover...Mike and Buzz thank you soo much.

Quick Reply: Self help feeling like a fool for asking...