Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Selling 2003 Landrover Discovery.... (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/selling-2003-landrover-discovery-92964/)

disco2003NYC 01-14-2019 05:26 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...f9f16c46fa.jpg
This doesn't look corroded?

Saturnine 01-14-2019 05:48 PM

i mean, i personally would say that looks corroded :dunno:

mln01 01-14-2019 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sixpack577 (Post 676384)
The booster on my 04 was almost eaten through with rust.
The MC(which the po had replaced), was leaking and brake fluid ate the paint.
With the leak fixed the bottom and front of the booster were badly rusted.
I got a new booster, and replaced it.
The old one wouldn't have taken much effort to push a hole through, and another winter would have done it in.
As metal was eaten away.

Originally Posted by disco2003NYC (Post 676481)
This doesn't look corroded?

There's a big difference between surface rust and corrosion that could cause the brake servo or any other part to fail. Sixpack577 says the brake servo on his truck was almost eaten through. I'm not going to argue with what he reports - he was there and I was not - but it seems his experience is an outlier. Regardless of that, it's true that replacing the brake servo is not difficult. Brake boosters rarely fail so they are inexpensive used.

Blanco.se7 01-14-2019 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by disco2003NYC (Post 676479)
I am up for the challenge. Forgetting how bad the leak. When I get into the car after a couple day not driving (and its really cold outside) the steering wheel feels completely locked. It take 5/10mins for it to loosen up once I fill it with fluid. Is this what it is? Can you tell me what I need and how to do it? I also think I should get a underwash, when the shop had it up doing and oil change the bottom was soaked leaking all over!

get the wash, full it with power steering fluid and check where it leaks from, could be a hose ($25 fix) or a actual pump ($90 fix) or could even be a loose connection, first step is probability a nice wash and a bunch of engine degreaser

Sixpack577 01-14-2019 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by mln01 (Post 676504)
There's a big difference between surface rust and corrosion that could cause the brake servo or any other part to fail. Sixpack577 says the brake servo on his truck was almost eaten through. I'm not going to argue with what he reports - he was there and I was not - but it seems his experience is an outlier. Regardless of that, it's true that replacing the brake servo is not difficult. Brake boosters rarely fail so they are inexpensive used.

I would take a picture of the old booster, but it went in a friend's scrap pile last year.
The paint on the bottom center of the hole behind the MC, and at the bottom of the booster had bubbled, and was full of rust underneath.
The metal was rotted thin, and springy and crunchy if you pressed your finger on it.
Enough to the point that bumps and vibration would've eventually caused a hairline crack or pin hole, and likely in the near future, it didn't look like it had another winter left in it.
Not a gaping hole either, but just enough to cause a vacuum leak.
I changed it for piece of mind.
I'm not saying it's common, but it happens.
According to CarFax, my D2 spent 4 winters in the north east, so that along with a leaking MC to eat the paint off first.

Extinct 01-15-2019 07:33 AM

The rust on the master cylinder is just surface rust, far from being significant at this point. If the mastercylinder was going to be rebuilt instead of replaced it could easily be addressed with a little sandpaper or rust remover and paint.

As to the leak, power steering fluid has a fairly high detergent content, it might have done a reasonably good job at that leak rate of essentially washing the area off. I would suggest starting sticking your phone down in the leak area and taking some flash photos so we can see how serious a degreasing it needs. Then it will likely be easiest to start with aerosol brake cleaner to spray off the affected components so we can see the leak source.

Good luck.

disco2003NYC 01-26-2019 11:00 AM

Hi sorry for the lack of response. Been filling the power steering fluid up and moving the car from alternate side of the street parking now for 2-weeks. Need to make a decision on what to do. Any NYers, Long Island or NJ forum members here who can recommend an inexpensive shop to figure out how bad the leak is and if it's worth fixing? I need to make a decision whether to donate the car, sell or fix it.

Thanks in advance!

mollusc 01-26-2019 11:11 AM

if the weather warms up enough to be able to work on it outside, i could meet you somewhere and take care of replacing the booster and/or master cylinder with spares from my parts truck. i have a brake bleeder system that i will be testing on my own truck within the next few days tat should complete the whole repair.
i'd be able to take a look at the power steering leak at the same time to see if i can work out where the problem lies. after identifying that, the course of action might be clearer.

disco2003NYC 01-26-2019 11:27 AM

I am happy to drive to Staten Island. Let me know. I can come next week. That would be amazing!!!!

Extinct 01-26-2019 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by mollusc (Post 677944)
if the weather warms up enough to be able to work on it outside, i could meet you somewhere and take care of replacing the booster and/or master cylinder with spares from my parts truck. i have a brake bleeder system that i will be testing on my own truck within the next few days tat should complete the whole repair.
i'd be able to take a look at the power steering leak at the same time to see if i can work out where the problem lies. after identifying that, the course of action might be clearer.

That is a very generous offer! Good people in here :bow:

mollusc 01-26-2019 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by disco2003NYC (Post 677949)
I am happy to drive to Staten Island. Let me know. I can come next week. That would be amazing!!!!

it looks like tomorrow should be warm and fine enough for me to do some work on my truck, both to test the bleeder system and to pull the booster and master off the parts truck.
however, after that the timing might get a bit tricky. thursday evenings are usually good for me (>7pm) but the forecast for next week is looking pretty cold. next sunday morning might be a possibility. after i work on my own truck i will have an idea of just how long the job will take.

disco2003NYC 01-28-2019 12:47 PM

Took some picture under car.

What is causing my power steering not to work on start. Yes leak, but it isn't emptying as fast as I thought.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...a6b61213e.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...f5e8aee68.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...6a939a6b0.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...51ad59f45.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...0920a668e.jpeg

mollusc 01-28-2019 01:02 PM

looks like it might be leaking from the box itself. or perhaps one of the lines connecting to it.
if all of the fluid leaks out, it will take a few moments for the fluid to get to the pump and through the lines to the box, so that's why it doesn't work when the truck first starts up.

disco2003NYC 01-28-2019 01:02 PM

Few more pictures.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...0fc443f87.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...d186f8639.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...9213af304.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...8b08a0d09.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...378902022.jpeg

zuke 01-28-2019 02:48 PM

Your power steering is either your pump or the high pressure line. Don't mess with a factory line cuz they cost too much and are a pain to install cuz they loop under the radiator. Just take your old hose to a hydraulic shop and get a shorty hose made for $20. If you want a power steering pump I got a couple used ones that are good. You can have one for nothing because I don't need them

disco2003NYC 01-28-2019 04:32 PM

Thanks Zuke! I would love the power steering pump if you don't need it. Another forum member @molluschas offered to help me as well with the brake booster. Can I take you up on your offer if it's not too much to ask?

Thanks!

mollusc 01-28-2019 05:29 PM

i will see what lines i can pull from my parts truck in case i can effect a repair when i tackle the brakes. i might be able to replace a leaking hose if it's something that simple.

disco2003NYC 02-03-2019 06:47 PM

Thank you!

Thanks to Mollusc my brake booster is fixed (replaced) and some other little things were taken care of. With Zuke’s pump and one more visit to Mollusc it seems my car will be good for another year - fingers-crossed! I will post Mollusc’s update after the Super Bowl. ;)

You guys are the best!

disco2003NYC 02-04-2019 10:36 PM

Hey Zuke thanks got the pump!!! Mollusc will be in touch and thank you both again!

mollusc 02-05-2019 06:07 AM

i could swap the pumps this sunday morning if we can go a little earlier -- maybe around 10 or so? i'll take a look at my parts bin and see if i have a spare throttle body heater kit too.

jastutte 02-05-2019 08:17 AM

this has been a great thread to follow.
starts with a rover owner ready to sell because of maintenance/mechanical issues and ends with several other forum members chipping in time, tools and parts to keep the truck on the road.

love it.

disco2003NYC 02-06-2019 09:49 AM

Sounds good! I will text you Sunday am when leaving the City, Do all I need to get is the part you sent me the link too?

Thanks so much!

mollusc 02-06-2019 10:18 AM

yes, order that pcv from amazon. and bring the replacement steering pump, of course.
i do have a spare throttle body heater kit so i'll bring that, and install it too if there's time.

mollusc 02-17-2019 11:27 AM

so just to resolve this thread...
zuke sent a spare power steering pump to the original poster at no charge. she and i met up today and i replaced the worn out one with the new one, along with replacing the low-pressure hose with a spare from my parts truck. while i was in there i also switched out the throttle body heater (i had a spare kit and hers was leaking) and we installed the fram pcv. also changed out the front wipers and got her rear tailgate door working after lubricating it thoroughly.
engine sounded good and smooth after all of these interventions, and the steering appeared to work perfectly. i recommended doing an oil change to conventional rather than synthetic, and also replacing the bosch spark plugs with ngk iridium plugs. the wires (and i presume coils) were done in 2016. it has dexcool in it so long-term recommendation would be to flush that and switch to green coolant.

Saturnine 02-17-2019 07:53 PM

So rad!

Glad everything got fixed :disco:

mln01 02-17-2019 08:42 PM

Need pics! Of you and her together!

mollusc 02-17-2019 09:10 PM

she'll have to be the one to provide those -- and i know she took some

disco2003NYC 02-18-2019 09:23 AM

Thank you Landrover Forums!!!

Originally Posted by mollusc (Post 680808)
so just to resolve this thread...
zuke sent a spare power steering pump to the original poster at no charge. she and i met up today and i replaced the worn out one with the new one, along with replacing the low-pressure hose with a spare from my parts truck. while i was in there i also switched out the throttle body heater (i had a spare kit and hers was leaking) and we installed the fram pcv. also changed out the front wipers and got her rear tailgate door working after lubricating it thoroughly.
engine sounded good and smooth after all of these interventions, and the steering appeared to work perfectly. i recommended doing an oil change to conventional rather than synthetic, and also replacing the bosch spark plugs with ngk iridium plugs. the wires (and i presume coils) were done in 2016. it has dexcool in it so long-term recommendation would be to flush that and switch to green coolant.

I think there is a film here. Love how you all help others just because of your enthusiasm for a car/brand.

More to follow but thank you Mollusc and Zuke and everyone else for chiming in. Today 2 new tires and she’s good to go!

bcurtman 02-18-2019 09:25 AM

I like jeeps. I like guns. I'm new to the Land Rover world, but now I like Land Rovers. I always said I had never had a bad deal with a jeep person or a gun nut, and I can now say that Land Rover nuts fall into the same class. Looking to help each other with advice, experience, and even parts and labor. I'm glad I bought my rover and hope to contribute more as I gain experience with it. You can bet if I see a rover on the side of the road that I'll be pulling over to offer assistance. Glad I found this forum. Thank you to all of you.

disco2003NYC 02-18-2019 09:49 AM

[QUOTE=disco2003NYC;680900]

I think there is a film here. Love how you all help others just because of your enthusiasm for a car/brand.

More to follow but thank you Mollusc and Zuke and everyone else for chiming in. Today 2 new tires and she’s good to go!

disco2003NYC 02-18-2019 10:21 AM

Many thanks to Landrover Forum, and Mollusc and Zuke!

Trying to post a video but it's not working - so click here
to view.

Also here is a pic of me and Mollusc and one of him working on the car (more to come!). Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. If you have any interesting Forum stories message me, thinking I may have a new documentary film idea ;-)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...a2f724778d.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...092730af8c.jpg

Pamela

yardpro 02-19-2019 03:31 PM

So i didn't read the entire thread, but i think youre right in that the truck is now worthless, and a death trap.
Being the nice guy i am, ill come up and get rid of it for you and relieve you from the liability of this monstrosity of a truck.

Ill even give you a few hundred bucks for it...... LOL

Seriously.. easy fixes. this is a great time to learn how to do some maintenance....

mollusc 02-19-2019 03:49 PM

not necessarily all easy fixes. i didn't even mention the o2 sensor errors, misfires, vacuum leak, and 3 amigos!

zuke 02-19-2019 04:17 PM

Well either way. I nominate mollusc for mvp of this forum. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the landy's.

zuke 02-19-2019 04:53 PM

Hell this is the best story I have seen on here. What say we all throw in some used parts and get this problem solved.

Somebody who knows computers set up a GoFundMe and let's gets mollusc a sexy front bumper or something for all his time and travel. I'm in for 50. I got a maf, coil set, and plugs that I will throw in. I can send an icarsoft if needed.

Oh hell yes.

mollusc 02-19-2019 09:45 PM

i'm busy for the next few weekends so there's not likely to be much activity for a while. i know that the truck and its owner and heading to vermont this coming weekend so that'll be a major test.
i have an icarsoft and just updated it with new firmware, so the next time we try to get anything done it will be able to do some deeper diagnosis. i also have an entire working abs module from my parts truck, but i suspect it will probably just need option b. i saw one unplugged wheel sensor so i think there's been a replacement done there.

i really don't need anything. the place we have been meeting is not far from my house and i would only be spending the time working on my own truck. or one of my bikes. or the house. or the landscaping...

disco2003NYC 02-20-2019 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by mollusc (Post 681177)
i'm busy for the next few weekends so there's not likely to be much activity for a while. i know that the truck and its owner and heading to vermont this coming weekend so that'll be a major test.
i have an icarsoft and just updated it with new firmware, so the next time we try to get anything done it will be able to do some deeper diagnosis. i also have an entire working abs module from my parts truck, but i suspect it will probably just need option b. i saw one unplugged wheel sensor so i think there's been a replacement done there.

i really don't need anything. the place we have been meeting is not far from my house and i would only be spending the time working on my own truck. or one of my bikes. or the house. or the landscaping...

Mollusc you are the gift that keeps on giving! Regarding the 3 amigos issue, is my truck safe to drive 500 miles from here to Vermont? Full disclosure it has been intermittent for over a year, but now seems not to want to go away. The only codes that came up when trying to reset when I got front tires replaced was - 66 Vaccum Switch - something like that.

Please let me know safety issues. No snow expected this weekend. But have my kid in the car so safety first. Thank you all in advance. Oh one more thing. I have a cheap Veepak ODM reader no codes came up ones cleared, but before I had the following: (see attached)

thanks!!!!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...fc68c348d0.png

mollusc 02-20-2019 08:51 AM

the three amigos only affect the abs system. your brakes still work, and they now work well! it will just be like driving an old pre-abs car.
with an o2 sensor not functioning, the car should revert to a generic fuel map. it won't be optimal fuel efficiency but shouldn't damage anything unless you start to get serious misfires.
you didn't seem to have any coolant leaks and now that we've (presumably) fixed the power steering leak there shouldn't be any copious amounts of fluid gushing out from under the front of the thing any more. with the new tyres i'd say you're good to go.

disco2003NYC 02-20-2019 09:19 AM

Thank you!!! Will touch base in the next couple of weeks. Zuke, haven't heard from you, but thank you as well.

This is such a wonderful end to the story!

mln01 02-20-2019 03:05 PM

It's not the end ...