Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling 2004 disco ii- need advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 04:36 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling 2004 disco ii- need advise

Hi all,

Sadly it has come time to sell my 2004 LR Disco II. I have owned it since 2007 and it's been a fantastic vehicle for the duration of my ownership.

I need some help pricing the vehicle and would appreciate any input. The vehicle has a salvaged title from when the vehicle slid into a guard-rail in 2006. Other than viewing the title it would be very difficult to tell that it's ever been in an accident. After looking at numerous online sale ads for this vehicle I have realised that the prices on these things vary wildly with most being in marginal condition after years of use. Mine is in absolutely fantastic condition, other than a slightly worn headliner (has been re secured but could use a replacement down the road) the interior is in near new shape. The exterior is also an 8/10 with little wear other than fading wheel arch liners, various scratches/normal wear etc..

Details:
NEVER overheated
S trim (w/ 16" wheels)
100,XXX miles
180 thermostat
Clear coat in good shape. No peeling or flaking
Dealer maintained ( I was a service advisor w/ LR for 8 years) - Fat stack of service records, flushes, head-gasket replacement(s) etc.
New 36" general grabbers
New drivers seat base cover
Dealer installed LR rain guards & door protection trim
Runs excellent, no ticking noises or lower end noise.
No oil leaks

Some of the older disco techs at my previous LR dealer seemed to think that the salvaged title would mean little to someone who would like to have one in good shape and mechanical condition.
I was thinking of listing it around $10,500/11K and see what happens. I am located in San Diego and have not found any 2004's to compare to in the area. I am moving to Baja Mexico and cannot afford to daily this anymore (she deserves better) & need a civic or other Econo box.

I understand pricing can be market specific but any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Last edited by middlemontana; 04-01-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,035 Posts

My wife glanced over and said "what's that". I said "somebody looking for pricing advice." She says "Ooh, I can do it, let me do it". So she says she would pay $14k, because it has low miles and good paint.

Full Extinct restoration at that mileage with an HSE truck is $17-19k. But you have an S, some people say they prefer the S because of no possibility of sunroof leaks but I would discount it at least $3000 from that number.

You don't have the full restoration, no list of all the parts done, needs headliner, So I would discount another $5k minimum. That puts you around $10k best case scenario.

The following users liked this post:
middlemontana (04-01-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 12:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

I think you're in the right ball park...and wouldn't take a penny less. 10/11K in Cal is like 6/7K here in Michigan...and l'd pay that for a clean framed, low mileage, well kept Dll any day of the week...especially without sunroofs and the best looking 16 rims. The only thing that may hurt sale is fuel prices at the moment, but don't fret to much...the right person is out there (secondary vehicle, overland build or grocery getter).

Good luck with sale.

The following 2 users liked this post by The Deputy:
cvhyatt (04-02-2022), whowa004 (04-02-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 06:48 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would be happy with paying 15k for your truck. Absolutely beautiful.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:38 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
My wife glanced over and said "what's that". I said "somebody looking for pricing advice." She says "Ooh, I can do it, let me do it". So she says she would pay $14k, because it has low miles and good paint.

Full Extinct restoration at that mileage with an HSE truck is $17-19k. But you have an S, some people say they prefer the S because of no possibility of sunroof leaks but I would discount it at least $3000 from that number.

You don't have the full restoration, no list of all the parts done, needs headliner, So I would discount another $5k minimum. That puts you around $10k best case scenario.
Is this a service you provide?

Old 04-05-2022, 11:59 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd be all over this if it weren't for the title, and I'm relatively close to you. Price would have to be lower for me to consider it and I would probably expect a lot of other buyers would feel the same. Gas prices aren't helping either. Good Luck.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason_B
Is this a service you provide?
Not really, just buy, restore, sell. I will complete an 01 and a 04 this year. It is very hour intensive so I can't do very many a year.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:41 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I would buy it with a salvage title. We have been looking in close to your area (Anaheim). and I would say that you are looking under 10k. There are a ton of Land Rovers on fb marketplace right now.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:52 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I'm thinking the cost of fuel is probably not going to help sell any not necessary V8 vehicles one might add to their fleet.

The target for this is someone who really wants one of these...

I'm sure gas prices are why many are on the FB now.... Could be a good opportunity ahead as those who can't afford to operate these trucks sell.

That's why I suggested BAT... Those people don't seem to care what they pay for the right vehicle.

GLWS

Old 04-08-2022, 05:33 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

I am located in San Diego and have not found any 2004's to compare to in the area.

04 is arguably the best year and you don’t have any to compare it to. Which tells you something. Ask for 15 k and hold for a couple months.

I just sold a 2004 with 80 k miles in Canada for 18 k Buyers will come if it’s clean

Quick Reply: Selling 2004 disco ii- need advise