Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Help

I am at a standstill...

All my previous posts have been tied into the following threads:

https://landroverforums.com/m_49854/..._/tm.htm#49854

https://landroverforums.com/m_51155/..._/tm.htm#51155

Here's the low down if you're not feeling frisky enough to surf into cyberspace:

Serious vibration between 50-60 mph while under load in 4th gear only.

Vehicle is throwing a '12' code at me, which I've discovered is a Mass Air Sensor code. It is the only code that I can find/get to because no one in my area has the magic wand that can read what my vehicle has. I discovered a couple of vacuum lines (driver's side, near the firewall) that connect to a little plastic T fitting and made them seal up again. Still throwing the '12' code at me and still shaking really horribly under the above conditions. I have the OME Steering Damper sitting on my lap right now, and I'm installing that little piece of wonderment tomorrow evening. I have run the sea-foam through the gas tank, engine, and I've also gargled this stuff myself just to see if that helped (it didn't)....

I'm pretty frustrated with this situation and I'm actively seeking out any help that I can. 1995 Discovery1, 115,xxx miles, automatic trans, 3.9l V8. It's green, if that helps.

I don't wanna hurt anymore :-(

Old 01-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Serious Help

So just to recap, you have a rough idle, a bad vibration (along with no power?) (how bad) only if fourth gear.Does this happen all the time and does it happen at anyspeed in 4th gearor is itonly one speed range?Sounds like two different problems. Did they start at the same time?

Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Where are you? I would suggest finding a local club and swapping MAFs to see if corrects it.

Note the RPM it starts loosing out. If it does it when 4TH gear is engaged immediately, it may be a problem with your tranny. I know people have asked before, but what kind of plugs and wires? how old are they? Did you clean your stepper motor and TPS when you cleaned the throttle body?

PS Don't run seafoam in the crankcase..

Old 01-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When you are driving and in 4th and it starts to act up move the gear selector into 3rd and see what happens.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:23 AM
Drifting

JKID: The Disco doesn't have enough power to make it into the depth of 4th gear too much. That is, as soon as it shifts into 4th gear, it starts shaking, and there is no power to get it going any faster. I can only get the two to happen together. It didnt' happen when I first purchased this Disco, but of course waited about a month. Both problems started happening at the same time. I can recreate all of these problems with frightening regularity. The problems started right after I had the oil changed.

OKDISCOGUY: I am in Northern NY, just outside of Watertown. I have been trying to find something resembling a club here, but I have yet to see another Disco1 anywhere near me. I'll get back with the plugs and wires question. I'm not sure what/where the stepper motor and TPS are at. I understand what the TPS is supposed to do, but the stepper motor is a mystery to me. The nearest Rover dealer is outside of Rochester, and at 50 mph it will take only about 4 hours for me to get there. When you say crank case, is there a 'non-mechanic' word for that? Do you mean don't put it in with my engine oil?

SPIKE555: I don't understand the purpose of switching it into 3rd gear while driving, but I default to my inexperience. Maybe to try and isolate the shaking from the no power?

Thanks to everyone's replies. I will provide food and shelter to your pets and relatives.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheBelly

The problems started right after I had the oil changed.
Then put the old oil back in! Seriously though, a miss could cause the loss of power, but not likely a major shake in the steering wheel. Any looseness in the front driveshaft?

When you say crank case, is there a 'non-mechanic' word for that? Do you mean don't put it in with my engine oil?
Correct.

SPIKE555: I don't understand the purpose of switching it into 3rd gear while driving, but I default to my inexperience. Maybe to try and isolate the shaking from the no power?
Correct again. If it won't shake in 3rd and continues to accelerate, I would suspect a transmission problem. Even Watertown has to have a transmission shop.

Thanks to everyone's replies. I will provide food and shelter to your pets and relatives.
Terrific! I'll send my mother-in-law right over.

Dave

Old 01-31-2008, 05:04 AM
Drifting

How would I tell looseness in the front drive shaft?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I live in Albany and my grandmother lives in Lowville, but unfortunatly neither of us have a Disco I. The shaking steering wheel (if it's bad) it is most likely something loose in the suspension or a badly out of balance wheel, or even the stabilizer I guess. The driveshaft can cause shaking too, but probably not real bad though. Look at your driveshaft and try to see if there is any movement around the joints (grab shaft on either side of joint and try to twist in opposite directions), or if you see a light, brown dust around them. If yes, then they are bad. If your joints do not have any nipples to let you grease them, then they are probablybad and need replacing asap before they explode. I'd start there.

By oil change, I assume you mean engine oil. Have you checked your tranny fluid level at all? I'm not sure if the level will mess with your torque converter or not... I would do that and if the level is okay I would drain it, drop the pan and carefully inspect the fluid color, smell and look for any bits of metal in the pan. These are cheao and easy things to do and may tell you something.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Wait, it started right after an oil change? Like immediately after the change when you picked it up(engine oil?)? If so, I wonder what they could have knocked off or disconnected? That's why I don't like anybody doing anything to my vehicle. You just don't know what else could have been done to it that will affect something later.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi TheBelly.
Please do a simple test for me.Leave your vehicle in neutral and slowly increase the rpm to a point where you feel safe not to cause damage.Is the vibration present at a certain rpm?Please let me know.
Regards
Marius.

Quick Reply: Serious Help