Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Problem please advice: alternator broke & battery carcked

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Problem please advice: alternator broke & battery carcked

Hi every one

For some weird reason my alternator broke and is not working anymore and my battery cracked and started to leak all at the same time on my 04 disco II se7. Fortunately enough I immediately found out stopped driving cleaned up the battery liquid. I don't know what would of happened if I didn't realize what was going on . Everything was working perfectly fine the day before I know alternators are parts that go out after awhile but whats weird is that my battery cracked and leaked at the same time. I have no clue what to think

Now I am in need of a new alternator & battery. I would like a new alternator instead of a rebuild. I know it will cost me a little more but I would feel more comfortable knowing it is a new one. I also need a new battery since my kind of blew up.

I would like a heavy duty alternator & a heavy duty battery. I live in Chicago and my car experiences all four extreme seasons of Chicago so if there are any suggestions on a certain battery and alternator please let me know

Thanks, looking forward to your suggestions

Last edited by ALEXAN; 09-24-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

How do you know your alternator is shot and why do you feel you must go heavier then the 130 amp alternator.
Go to Sears and buy their top of the line Platinum battery, I think they are on sale for $189 right now.
If you haven't had the alternator checked so before throwing money at a new one. If you do need one go to Rover Connection and look at their options, Don't go and try for some heavier cause it is not needed.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Optima Yellowtop, otherwise Duralast Gold from autozone has served me well through some very cold winters in Wyoming and Colorado.

Like Mike said how do you know your alternator is shot?

Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Three Wheeling

My mechanic and my dads friend who is a gear head and auto enthusiast checked it out and said its obsolete. If they say its obsolete its obsolete I trust these guys

Old 09-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Wrong!!!!!
Absolete doesn't tell us much and certainly is not a mechanical term unless your talking about a Model T.
Have they actually tested the alternator for output?
By the way, I would have mentioned Yellow Tops also, I run a dual pair of them, but I get tired of getting yelled at regarding them, I think they are great.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The Duralast Gold battery from AutoZone was rated a Best Buy by Consumer Reports, it is $90 last time I checked, this is the battery that I have, 1000 amps 900CCA.
www.autosportsunlimited.com has used alternators for $50 plus shipping, they are in Zeeland MI (20 miles from Grand Rapids) so it will reach you quick.
If you order it tomorrow and have them ship it FedEx Home Delivery you should get it Saturday.
This will get you back on the road and then you can have your old alternator rebuilt by a electrical shop and they can beef it up to 200amps if you want them too.
Then swap them back out and keep the newuesed one as a spare.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Three Wheeling

What I meant by they said its obsolete is that they did check it and told me either have it rebuilt or get a new one because this one is not going to work. They did check it. I also need a alternator with a little more amps then 130 around 150 or 200 should be good The reason is because I plan on installing a nice premium sound system that's going to need a little more juice then usual and really don't want to have a secondary battery for it.
I remember the audio guys telling me it would be a good idea to get an alternator with a little more strength so that I would not run into power problems when i get my audio system installed if I didn't want to run a second battery.

As for taking it to a shop to get it beefed up we really don't know of a place that we could trust and I really would just like to order a new one off-line so if any of you know where I could purchase a alternator that is a little stronger then the oem please let me know. went to rover connection and they only had the 130

Old 09-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Any of your Rover suppliers are going to have stock amperage alternators.
You are going to be hard pressed to find a beefed up LR alternator, not that it cant be done, but I think you would have better luck getting yours rebuilt and beefed.
Just do a Yellowpages search in your area for alternator rebuilders.
Or Google beefed up LR alternators.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell these guys http://www.mean-green.com/store/prod...0&CategoryID=3 you want one for your Disco. They will make it if you pay it.

Last edited by 98roverguy; 09-24-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Just e-mailed mean green lets just hope they could help me out also check this one I found online let me know what you think http://powerbastards.com/proddetail....od=Fitzall-220

Last edited by ALEXAN; 09-25-2009 at 01:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Serious Problem please advice: alternator broke & battery carcked