Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010 | 12:54 PM
|
Drifting
Default Service Engine Soon Light

Hi All -

Hopefully nothing to worry about but I am paranoid about the maintenance/upkeep/etc of my 2001 LR Disco II.

I was driving on the highway today at 65MPH, and the Service Engine Light Soon came on.

I have a gauge in my DII that monitors:

MAF Temp
Coolant Temp
Timing Advance
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
etc...

All the readings are normal for my DII. I also have an OBDII Scanner that reads no codes - though I have only used the OBDII once so maybe I took the reading wrong?

None of the gauges in the dash have moved beyond normalcy. Vehicle is running perfectly fine. Engine is not leaking, coolant is fine... vehicle has been meticulously maintained.

Weird? I read the gas cap can trip the Service Engine Soon light? I checked it. It was slightly loose so I tightened but light is still on.

Am I missing something?

Old 09-16-2010 | 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling

with engine off hook up the scanner turn ignition on and follow the procedure the screen gives you on the scanner......0442 small evap leak was the gas cap for me...

Old 09-16-2010 | 06:12 PM
Team Owner

The light will not go out by itself, you will need to clear the codes to shut it off.

Old 09-16-2010 | 11:36 PM
Mudding

I have 2001 D2 and Service Engine Soon light sometimes come on .After couple of starts come off .Sometimes SRS light come on , stays for couple of weeks and then goes away . Sometimes both lights come on , I think it's weather .Now I am looking to buy OBD scanner.Truck starts and drives just fine and that is all that matters.

Old 09-16-2010 | 11:57 PM
Pro Wrench

It depends on what code turned the light on. If the problem that turned on the light is fixed (through gas cap being tightened, or wire that shorted no longer being shorted, etc) it may/will turn off after the predetermined number of drive cycles (drive cycles being dependent on what caused the code). I have seen a check engine light on even though the diagnostic tool states the light is off, according to the ECM.

Old 09-17-2010 | 06:35 AM
Administrator

Why not start by reading the owners manual cover to cover at least 2 times, then go get your codes read at a local parts store and get back to us with the 4 digit fault code numbers.

Old 09-17-2010 | 07:13 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Arm and hammer
I have 2001 D2 and Service Engine Soon light sometimes come on .After couple of starts come off .Sometimes SRS light come on , stays for couple of weeks and then goes away . Sometimes both lights come on , I think it's weather .Now I am looking to buy OBD scanner.Truck starts and drives just fine and that is all that matters.

That's the spirit. Drive it 'til its dead. Pride in ownership

Old 09-17-2010 | 08:21 AM
Mudding

Get the 4-digit trouble code and get back to us. If it did have to deal with the gas-cap, it'll eventually clear itself. Mine had Large Evap Emissions leak from it, replaced the gas cap and she's happy again.

Old 09-17-2010 | 11:41 AM
Mudding

25$ later I have ODB2 scanner , guy showed me how to use it.Apparently I have miss fire on cylinder 5 and 8 .According to the guy could be various reasons , spark-plugs , coil packs , ignition wires or in my case little leak of coolant in the cylinders( according to my mechanic).SRS light my OBD2 scanner couldn't read , but I read somewhere on this forum it could be malfunctioning buckle switch?So nothing to worry about.

Old 09-18-2010 | 05:39 AM
|
Drifting

0171 (Bank 1 lean) and 0174 (Bank 2 lean) + 0734

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Light