Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Soon light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I've never had any experience with the Bosch IR plugs.... just the platinum. I think they must use the bare minimum amount of platinum to get away with calling them that. I've seen the center electrode worn all the way down so that it was recessed in the ceramic insulator, and the plugs were maybe a year old. The cheap copper Bosch plugs, as OEM in some german cars seemed to be ok.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First, anyone who says Bosch plugs are bad, is a foul. They are one of the largest manufacture of plugs for most European vehicles and when people say they are bad, very few if any of them have used them, it is all unfounded hear say.
That being said, if you want help with your misfire issue, send me your number and I'll call you
Wrong. I've used them, once, and I've seen the results when others have used them, countless times. They are without a doubt the worst plug you can buy. This is why a bosch plat plug is $5 and an NGK plat plug is $15.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, the electrode is all the way down to the porclean when brand new, that is their design.
More expensive plugs don't mean they are any better. If you are looking at new teck. plugs, the E3's are around $6 and out perform most of the newer plugs on the market.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, the electrode is all the way down to the porclean when brand new, that is their design.
More expensive plugs don't mean they are any better. If you are looking at new teck. plugs, the E3's are around $6 and out perform most of the newer plugs on the market.
Bingo!! They are excellent plugs.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, their bad design. After it wears a little, the electrode is buried deep inside the plug. If they truly had a measurable amount of platinum they wouldn't wear like they do, and they would cost more.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just using coppers... caused all kinds of problems. I went to Bosch IR's... been running like a top ever since. E3's may be better tho?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling

First, anyone who says Bosch plugs are bad, is a foul. They are one of the largest manufacture of plugs for most European vehicles and when people say they are bad, very few if any of them have used them, it is all unfounded hear say.
That being said, if you want help with your misfire issue, send me your number and I'll call you
Mike, how much life do you get from your +4's/how often do you change them? and what is a reasonable life span for double platinum plugs?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Mudding

much thanks to Mike and the guys that helped me out on this board. Turns out all i needed to do was replace a plug in #7. Thx guys!

Old 02-02-2021, 10:15 PM
5th Gear
Default Check engine light flashing

I’ve Change plugs coils and wires. Check engine light is still flashing after I reset code. The only code I vet constant is misfire cylinder 6 but funny thing the coder reader gives me 2 codes for that misfire. Some times but rarely it will throw the code for random multi misfires. Also when I changed the coil packs I noticed there isn’t any locking clips on the connectors so they are just pushed on.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@Steven Hill Pull the #6 plug and take a look at it, if it was a bad connector you would get multiple misfires related to that bank not just 1 cylinder

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon light flashing