Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service engine soon light and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:31 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service engine soon light and other issues

Hello all, I purchased my first land rover a month ago and was hoping to get some help with some minor problems. The LR is a 2001 Discovery SE.

1) The service engine soon light has been on since I bought the truck, the code tells me the engine is running lean. I originally believed the problem to be a faulty gas cap as there was not hissing noise when I went to fill the truck with gas. I installed a new gas cap and there is still no hissing upon removal of the gas cap. Does anyone have ideas on what else may cause this issue and how I turn the light off once the issue is resolved?

2) After driving the truck, I smell coolant when I get out. I do not smell any coolant in the cab and I have not been able to find any evidence of coolant leaking in the engine compartment or on the garage floor. Any ideas on where my leak is occurring?

3) Does anyone have any knowledge of the LR dealers in Tulsa, OK or Albuquerque, NM? Do they have good reputations amongst the LR community? How is the service department?

Thanks
Michael

Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: service engine soon light and other issues

Michael.
I would look around for a good independent shop as opposed to a dealer for many reasons, money and experience.
Need to get that lean burn looked after and have a shop pressure test your coolant for that leak, that is an important issue.
If you want some help you can call me at 303-862-7680 in Colorado, I'll be glad to walk you thru this stuff.
Mike

Old 06-08-2007, 10:52 PM
6th Gear

This is yet another issue with my truck too!! I have posted about my trouble with the leaks in particular the coolant/rad issue. I also have the service engine light on and getting the code system too lean as well. Have you had any success diagnosing the problem? My light has been turned off several times as well and it always comes back on now and stays on. We had an ABS issue and it was resolved with needing new tire sensors and the mechanic hoped that it was settting off the engine light but no it came back on. Love to hear what you discovered!

Stacey

Old 06-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Stacey,
Exactly what fault codes are you getting, by number?
Mike

Old 06-10-2007, 12:59 AM
8th Gear

If you guys are getting lean codes on both banks at the same time, (often accompanied by gear ratio codes) its time to start shopping for a MAF sensor...Good luck!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a good indy rover guy on 6th and peoria in Tulsa. I can get his # if you want it...

Old 06-12-2007, 03:27 PM
6th Gear

Here are the codes:
P0171B B-1 System too lean
P0174B-2 System too lean
P0734A Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
P0733 Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio

I didnt' realize there were so many codes! These codes came up both july/oct 06 and still in Feb 07 and the engine light is still on. As I'm pulling out these invoices this same guy charged me for a repair coolant leak in Feb for 120.00 - Landrover replaced the rad in Apr 06 and now I'm being told this week that the coolant is leaking..... His last remarks in Feb were valve cover gaskets leaking badly, cam and crank seals, brake service required.... I had the brakes done last July 06, pads and rotors. I'll let you all know when I get it back what my latest invoice says...

Stacey

Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 AM
4wd Low

There's a good independent shop in Albuquerque called Southwest Rovers. They're on San Pedro south of Alameda.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Drifting

As far as the coolant goes i picked up a 2000 DII with 92,000 miles on her.

I had no "rushing water" noise coming from the dash but could smell coolant something awful right after a 30 minute run. just like you, no coolant leak i feared the worst thinking its inside the engine. I looked at the coolant bottle, and it was low, almost about a qt. I topped her off, and no more missing coolant and no more smell. the owners manual says to check it (something like) every month and to top off as needed, i assume that a little missing is normal, but once every week or two (and a lot) is not. I hope this helps,

Scott

Old 06-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Stashf

Here are the codes:
P0171B B-1 System too lean
P0174B-2 System too lean
P0734A Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
P0733 Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio

I didnt' realize there were so many codes! These codes came up both july/oct 06 and still in Feb 07 and the engine light is still on. As I'm pulling out these invoices this same guy charged me for a repair coolant leak in Feb for 120.00 - Landrover replaced the rad in Apr 06 and now I'm being told this week that the coolant is leaking..... His last remarks in Feb were valve cover gaskets leaking badly, cam and crank seals, brake service required.... I had the brakes done last July 06, pads and rotors. I'll let you all know when I get it back what my latest invoice says...

Stacey
You have a bad MAF, indicated by the 2 lean codes and the 4th gear code. I know where you can buy a new one for about $129, let me know if I can help you.
Mike

Quick Reply: service engine soon light and other issues