Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service engine soon - M & S Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service engine soon - M & S Lights

Hey All,

I haven't driven my Disco II in about three weeks, this morning when I started it all was fine. However once I put it in reverse (not sure if thats related) the service engine light and the M & S lights came on - flashing. I shut it down, fired it back up as the manual says and all was fine again. Once I shut it down (to go in the store) and returned the same thing happened. All the fluids are good and were during this event, nothing had to be added. I'm hoping this is something simple and not the start of something uuu else.

PS - I haven't had time to get to the local (closest store) to have my codes read. If they are open tomorrow I'll be able to do it then and update this post.

I am open to any advice that would help me avoid the stealership, Thanks in advance.

Robert

Last edited by Night Train; 10-31-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Updated entry
Old 10-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

3 weeks? Maybe the battery wasn't 100% after sitting that time. I know that if the battery isn't "perfect" in a D2, it can cause issues.

Eric

Old 10-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Get the codes read as well as have your charging system checked, voltage has to be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Update on the codes, they are;

P1412 - no definition (for that reader)
P1415 - no definition (for that reader)
P0705 - Tranny range sensor circuit A (Park/Reverse/Neutral/Drive)(Low Input)

Sorry I spaced having the charging system checked (I will get this done, thanks for the range Mike), I am going to change the battery as this one has a questionable life (came with the vehicle) I'm going to a Red Top Optima. As I understand it, to prevent any other codes I should change the battery with the vehicle running (comments)???

Old 11-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Instead of the Red Top, which I have run dual Reds and Yellows for ever, I would suggest you buy a Sear Platinum deep cycle 34 series, they are a much better battery with higher out=puts and a much longer warranty.
Both those 1400 codes are SAI related and the 705 may still be a low voltage issue which I would hold on until after the battery is replaced.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm with Mike. I run a Sears Plat deep cycle 34 in my truck and love it. The warranty is fantastic.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Sorry I seem to be running backwards (too many things at once, life huh) on this but I had the charging system checked with these results (getting a new battery is looking good);
The battery shows good but needs charged, rated for 800CCA but only had 553 (needs charged).
Engine running no load its charging at 14.210, with load its at 14.200.
Since its the battery I got with the vehicle and its starting to get colder I will run it till Friday (payday) and replace it. Thanks for the advice on Sears Mike & Hilltopper, It looks like a good battery and will take your/alls advice.

Whats the word on codes if the battery is replaced with the engine off versus running???

What is my approach to the SAI issue. Once they reset my codes (after reading the service engine light has not come back on). Will the SAI issue go away with the battery?

Thanks again for your help

Robert

Old 11-05-2010, 10:51 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tazangel2007
...This is Jack!....
hiJACKer, start a new thread or send a message directly to Mike if you have specific questions that are unrelated to the topic of this thread.

Night - I had the M+S lights deal like you a while, back and pulled the battery while the vehicle was OFF, replaced it, and I had NO problems and no codes, just pull it and replace it. Go ahead and replace your battery first then see if you SAI codes return.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Rock Crawling

OK, all,
Thanks for the tips, I replaced the battery (no problems) with a 34 series Platinum (that is a heck of a warranty & a nice read on the battery itself, Mike) However, now I'm getting the service engine soon light and M&S (service engine stays lite, M&S flashes) I can shut it down and restart it and all goes away except the service engine light. When the M&S lights flash the red dots next to the shifter and the indicator (dash) lights for what gear your in also flash and it drive real sluggish (until restart). Also this seems to only had after shifting from reverse to drive, if I start in drive stay in drive all day - no M&S, after I use reverse once and return to drive = service engine light + M&S. I went by auto zone and they had an OBD II the only code showing was P0705, input speed sensor???? (the service engine light was cleared with the OBD but once I use reverse both items appear, the M&S resets with restart SEL has to be set by reader).

Please insert advice Here______________________________________________ ____.

Thanks to all who play along!

Robert

Old 11-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Right there with you...

Originally Posted by Night Train
OK, all,
Thanks for the tips, I replaced the battery (no problems) with a 34 series Platinum (that is a heck of a warranty & a nice read on the battery itself, Mike) However, now I'm getting the service engine soon light and M&S (service engine stays lite, M&S flashes) I can shut it down and restart it and all goes away except the service engine light. When the M&S lights flash the red dots next to the shifter and the indicator (dash) lights for what gear your in also flash and it drive real sluggish (until restart). Also this seems to only had after shifting from reverse to drive, if I start in drive stay in drive all day - no M&S, after I use reverse once and return to drive = service engine light + M&S. I went by auto zone and they had an OBD II the only code showing was P0705, input speed sensor???? (the service engine light was cleared with the OBD but once I use reverse both items appear, the M&S resets with restart SEL has to be set by reader).

Please insert advice Here______________________________________________ ____.

Thanks to all who play along!

Robert
I've had the same issue but mine has only done this a couple of times over the last couple months. I drove it once for a couple of miles while in this M&S flashing mode and it appeared to be in 3rd gear only, hence the "sluggish" start or loss of torque at launch, and it never shifted into another gear. I never drove it above 40mph but my best guess is that for some reason the car is only in 3rd or 4th gear when this happens.

Would love to also hear what causes this "limp" mode with the M&S flashing and how to fix it.

Quick Reply: Service engine soon - M & S Lights