Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shakey Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:31 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shakey Disco 2

Hello, I'm new to the forum I currently own a 00 disco 2, I've had for about 5 years and have around 110,00 miles. I've never had a problem till a couple months ago I had to replace drive shaft, new tranny...all the good stuff, but now I'm getting a vibration at high speeds (75mph+) and sometimes at take off. So off course i check all my tires and good, so then i was told to replace to replace the discpuc which connects the shaft to diff, i think but it still does the same thing....Has anyone here had the same problem? any thing else i should try? I'm frustrated and thinking of selling it to this...I would apreciate any help...Thanks

Old 03-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Shakey Disco 2

Have you checked all your U joints?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So I would suggest you check and replace the rear drive shaft roto flex if it has never been replaced. As for the front drive shaft, when you replaced your, did you have a new one installed with grease fittings in the constant velocity housings u-joints, if not it may be failing again? How often do you grease both drive shafts?
Mike

Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 AM
3rd Gear

Sorry Mike is roto flex the same as flex disc? If so I replaced that last week and no diifrence...and I dont recall the fittings with the constant velocity housings u-joints...I haven't greased both shafts in a while, how often should I?

Aquaholic, last time we chked the U joints they where fine...I'll check again.....

Thank You both for the info....I don't know anyone personally here in AZ with a Disco so any info helps

Old 03-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

You need to grease the u-joints every 12,000, including the slip shafts.
You need to crawl under the truck with a flash light and look at the front drive shaft where it hooks to the t/case. At the fitting is a constant velocity joint with 2 u-joints in it, look and see if you can see greas fittings on both of those u-jonts.
Mike

Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 PM
4th Gear

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to this, but I hope you fix it and put the answer on this thread.

I have a very similar problem, which I have alsobeen unable to sort. The mileage on my car is about half yours, but the symptoms sound the same.

Could I ask how bad the vibration on yours is? how much movement do you get, and do you get the vibes at lower speeds, but less intense?

Sorry to have more questions than answers

Old 03-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Just out of curiosity how much grease should you put in when greasing the joints/shaft? How much is too much? Thanks

Old 03-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This subject tweaks my interest.I've read on this forum about u-joints failing and taking out the tranny.Which joints are these?I'm not having any problems with my Discovery,but I'd sure like to know what to keep an eye on.Do these u-joints come with factory nipples or are they just packed with grease inside the boot like a regular CV joint.I remember all three of my Cherokees having to get u-joints on a regular basis,untill the last replacement when I had all the new ones tapped and had grease nipples installed,which ended the issue.Is this something that I should have done with the Discovery?,or will regular boot packing lessen the chance of future surprises? I shutter at the thought of replacing a tranny down the road.Enlighten me on the subjuct.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling

You need to install/have installed grease fittings.

Put grease in them until it starts to come out - then you know it's full. Wipe off the excess so you don't make a big mess underneath.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Short and sweatr. If your front drive shafts constant velocity joint does not have grease fittings, you are a BIB WORK ORDER waiting to happen.
My first set failed at around 35,000 miles, course I was running hard trails 3 weekends a month. The secons set failed at 81,000, they had grease fittings and it turned out the shop I was using didn't grease them.
Rull of thumb is if you don't have the grease fittings and you are on the highway when they fail, the opening estimate on your work order will be $7000 for starters. You can loose the tranny and sometimes the t/case, up up to $$9500 PLUS.
Your decision, replace them or don't.
Grease the u-joints at least every 12,000 miles and alot more frequently if you like to do what crossings, same with the slip shafts on both the front and rear shafts, remove the plug, install a grease fitting and give it a good greasing. As for the u-joints only put a small amount of grease in them, usually just enought to make the cup boots start to swell up without letting grease out.
Mike