Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shepard stop leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012 | 09:17 AM
Drifting

Advanced auto has it. Was on sale for 16.99 in their last circular.

Old 01-24-2012 | 10:29 AM
TReK

I got some at O'Reilly's (west coast thing?). Came out to $23.XX with tax. I added it to the crankcase during my oil change last week. I've got numerous leaks including the front seal so we'll see how it goes. I've been buried at work due to the snow storm, so I haven't had a chance to crawl underneath to see if it's had any effect.

Name:  2012-01-12_11-58-18_20.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  83.0 KB

Old 01-24-2012 | 11:36 AM
Three Wheeling

I have some seepage from the head gasket at the rear of my engine, but it doesn't look like White Shepherd addresses that. Any other recommended sealant, other than Blue Devil?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 01-24-2012 | 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by hunter
I have some seepage from the head gasket at the rear of my engine, but it doesn't look like White Shepherd addresses that. Any other recommended sealant, other than Blue Devil?

Thanks,
Dave
Discovery II Head Gasket Kit - Land Rover Discovery Parts And Accessories At Atlantic British

Old 01-24-2012 | 12:58 PM
Winching

i tried it for my rear seal with no luck. Actually got worse.

Old 01-24-2012 | 02:40 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by humroot
i tried it for my rear seal with no luck. Actually got worse.
Did you get your money back? (See above "Guaranteed Money Back")

Old 01-24-2012 | 03:00 PM
Drifting

That little 8oz bottle is running $16 in Houston. I wonder if it is actually enough for a D2? It says it treats 4 to 6 quarts of oil. Mine had several leaks points, some of which may have been attributed to loose valve cover bolts. I tightened the covers then used the 8oz stop leak a day or so later. Thought all leaks were cured but I do still have one very slow one at the front of the engine. It results in 1 small drop of the pavement each time I park.
I actually had bought 2 bottles so I'm going to try another one the next time I need to drive somewhere that will take an hour or more.

Last edited by Texarican; 01-24-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: type
Old 01-24-2012 | 04:02 PM
Administrator

For that head gasket leak, never use a form of coolant stop leak, especially the Blue Devil, it is the worst of the bunch and will turn into gel in your coolant system and gum up everything.

Old 01-24-2012 | 04:23 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First of all, they make 8 different products.
I have used their oil stop leak in both my t/case and rear diff with great no more leak results. I have used theit p/s stop leak over a year ago and as long as it is not a hose leak it will stop leaks in the p/s pump as well as the gear box. They make a great rear main sealer that I have seen used with pretty good results. I have not used either of their a/s stop leaks and tell everybody to not use the Blue Devils coolant stop leak, it is a terrible product.
I really want to try this before a full swap out of the p/s pump and gear box! I know you used it on your Disco but are there any warnings you would like to pass down?

Old 01-24-2012 | 04:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Ed - I saw that, just looks hard to pour into the engine

I've never considered a sealant before, but having had no business for near 9 months and using my D2 as my daily driver (looking for a cheap, more efficient daily solution) has limited my options. I need to lead a Scout trip to the Sierra in 2.5 weeks and was considering the sealant as a short-term stop gap. However, the seepage is so light - no oil drips on my driveway and no noticeable drop in oil level - I will just keep an eye on it and hope for a safe trip there and back.

Thanks,
Dave

Quick Reply: shepard stop leak