Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Selector Moves / Car Stuck In Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 08:27 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Shift Selector Moves / Driveline Stuck ??

I was inspired yesterday to degrease the bottom of the DISCO and must have jacked something up in the process.

Got in the car today and everything seemed normal (No Dash Lights). Went to put the car into drive and it acted like it was in gear but something in the driveline/transmission was jammed. I get the same results in reverse. I even locked the center diff and had the same results. Car surges forward or backward depending on the selection but gears are stuck. Thought about giving it some gas but I don't want to break anything as it definitely feels like stuck gears or driveline.

After searching here on the forum I keep getting the results with stuck shift selectors (stuck in park) which is not my issue. Has anyone had the same experience or able to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MrHSE7; 04-20-2021 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Changed to better title
Old 04-19-2021, 10:26 PM
Mudding

Been searching the forums up and down. Can this be a transfer case solenoid issue? Would this align with the symptoms that I have described above?

I don't have any issues selecting gears or switching from high to low from the CLD lever.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:11 AM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

By messing with the CDL you're only adding to the problem. You want to eliminate as many possibilities as you can. Besides which, all you're doing with the CDL is ensuring that any issue with one side of the final drive gets applied to all the wheels. Leave it unlocked.
Block the wheels and put it in neutral, then try jacking up each wheel and then each axle in turn to see whether they rotate, and if the driveshaft rotates. Make sure your parking brake is released. Try disconnecting the driveshafts and see if you can rotate the wheels, watching to make sure the differential inputs turns. With the driveshafts connected, see if you can manually rotate the outputs on the transfer case.
Basically, just try to test each component of the final drive to see if you can work out where the problem is.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 02:48 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the reply Mollusc.

Only bummer right now is the car is parked on the street. So testing the above will be a challenge. Ill have to see if I can move the car in NEUTRAL.

Tried again this morning and the car is definitely shifting and going into all gears OK. The car will try to move forward and backward when selecting gears but stops because of something locked up. It almost feels like something in the transfercase or driveline is locked. There must be some sort of electrical switch I messed up with cleaning the undercarriage. I can't believe it would be something mechanical as I was driving it perfectly only hours before this issue.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:39 PM
Mudding

Just went outside and wanted to confirm to see if the car will roll in NEUTRAL. Negative. She is locked up pretty good. Next will try the suggestion above to see which wheels or tires have movement.

Is there any electrical switch or device downline of the transmission that can lock the drivetrain up?

Old 04-20-2021, 05:34 PM
TReK

The only electrical things I can think of in that region are solenoids that prevent you from shifting when you're not in neutral. Can't come up with anything that would lock the driveline other than a mechanical fault. Narrowing it down to a specific component will help a lot.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:26 PM
Mudding

Was able to jack up the front and both left and right spin either direction freely in neutral.

The rear left and right also spun freely individually. I can see the LSD rotating the opposite tire in reverse. When I tried to spin both in one direction the resistance was unmovable by hand.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:54 PM
TReK

So I think that tells you that the diffs are ok. Next things I would try are verifying that the parking brake is releasing, and disconnecting the driveshafts from the transfer case one at a time and testing to see if you can rotate the wheels by turning the shaft, and vice-versa.
Then check to make sure you're not in low range and the t-case is unlocked, and put it in gear with both driveshafts disconnected to see if the outputs on the t-case rotate.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:54 PM
TReK

And just to note, I don't think these diffs are limited slip.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:01 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mollusc
And just to note, I don't think these diffs are limited slip.
Your right. My bad. I should have said differential. 😜

Quick Reply: Shift Selector Moves / Car Stuck In Park