Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shimmy at 35 and 65+

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shimmy at 35 and 65+

ok guys , i have a 2003 disco with 110k on it , i have replaced,
head gaskets
front drive shaft

my power steering system has a terrible leak whick i still havent been able to pin point i will be replacing gasket in the pump today to try and narrow it down
i will be replacing the wires and plugs in the next few days to make sure it is not a misfire that is causing it ...
but my question is, this shimmy i have... i have been told it could be a steering issue and i have also read it can be the rotoflex , seeing as my front drive shaft actually snapped at the double cardan before it was replaced im really hoping it isnt my diff or transfer case . im wondering if maybe i am missing something ? this shimmy is pretty bad and honeslty really annoying... any suggestions?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you have to get under the truck and check for play in the tie rod ends. they probably have never been replaced, also check the rotoflex for cracks it can easily cause a vibration. could also be the steering box itself. you need to get under and start looking things over.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 PM
4th Gear

im thinkin im just gonna go ahead and replace the rotoflex , cant hurt right ?
hmm didint think about the tie rod ends , that is a no brainer, what am i looking at the bushings?
i am really hopin my leak is not my steering box i dont have 800 to throw around and that looks like a pain to get to, how would you suggest checkin out my steering box?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 PM

see if the tie rod ends in the drag link and track rod have any play from side to side. they shouldn't. you can check the panhard rod bushings for cracks as well but that is usually more of a death wobble then a shimmy. the tires out of balance can give you a shimmy, bad cracks in the rotoflex can give you a shimmy.

for the steering box i would clean everything up to see where the leak is coming from. then check the linkage in the steering column, there is a couple and u joint there as well.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM
4wd Low

What is a rotoflex and where is it I should check mine cause I have a vibration around 70 mph....anything under that is fine so I just do 65

Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by dfc1200
What is a rotoflex and where is it I should check mine cause I have a vibration around 70 mph....anything under that is fine so I just do 65
back propshaft. here is a pic of one that needs replacing real bad.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 PM
4wd Low

Ohhh OK thank you for the pic....just checked mine it only has a few fine surface cracks around the thick part where the bolts go threw....kinda like an old tire would have....I would have taken a pic but my son needed the rover to get to work so he can buy all these parts he needs hahaha
Thanks again

Old 10-05-2012, 01:09 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Why did they put in a Rotoflex as compared to a U Joint???

Discovery I does not have rotoflexes.

Seems if you are out on a trail and you are relying on rotoflex which is rubber??

I guess a rotoflex is better as you don't need to lube it and water can't get into it.

Interesting trade offs.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by jfall
Why did they put in a Rotoflex as compared to a U Joint???

Discovery I does not have rotoflexes.

Seems if you are out on a trail and you are relying on rotoflex which is rubber??

I guess a rotoflex is better as you don't need to lube it and water can't get into it.

Interesting trade offs.
when not old, dry and cracked, the rotoflex gives you a smoother drive line. that rubber eats up some of the vibration. with all the failures im sure they wouldnt repeat this engineering feat. however you can convert it to a u joint fairly easily.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

shimmy at 35 and 65+ Usually with a viberation like yours, where it doulbles down with speed (meening 35 then 65, or 40 then 80mph) it has to do with a balance problem like an out of balance drive shaft or tire. I bad rotoflex might to the same thing but im not sure if it would double down with speed.

Quick Reply: shimmy at 35 and 65+