Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks and Springs

I have a 96 D1 and it has over 200k miles on it. I know it still has factory Shocks and Springs( I know I know they are shot)and I am looking to replace them and the stablizer. Almost every post I have found here seems to refer to lifting the truck. I don't do much off roading (now that I live in NJ) and really would just like the truck to drivegreat and be back to the stock ride height because my garage is not the tallest.I would also like to do this without spending an arm and leg. It is a weekend driver now that we use mass transit most of the time.That being said what good springs and shocks would give me great handling on the road and not lift the truck over stock. I have read OME, Bills, and Monroe. Whatwould everyone suggest?

Thanks
E

Old 03-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Shocks and Springs

i recommend ome md springs and bilstein shocks. its only a 1" lift and rides great on the streets.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:01 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have OME shocks and springs that are stock height,,
thought I do not know if they still make them.

I have had them for years the ride is better than stock.
The OME maybe over kill for intown only.

Up until last monthI had my stock springs and shocks that
came off back in 97,, but I cleaned out the garage.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You really only have 2 choices for your springs Old Man Emu and RTE, for shocks only the H.D. OME's and the Bilsteins.

Your truck will come out, nearly 2 inches taller then how it measure right now, but that may only be about a 1" lift from it's original heigth because you current coils have collapsed quite a bit since new.
The plus side, it will ride so much better, on and off the road and give you a little more clearance when out playing.
Do not even consider other parts from Monroe, Pro Comp and some of the other places, you will not be satisfied with the out come.
When you get ready to buy, one of the better places on line for the OME parts will be, Tont at Cerrones, 650-365-4145, who has what I believe to be the better prices and he can guide you through the four different coils choice you have to pick from

Old 03-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Do different OME shocks and/or coilsraise to different heights? I was looking on Alantic British and some OMEs were said to raise 3" while others had no mention of any height increase. I do mostly in-town driving but still want the option of some lightto medium towing. I'm pretty sure that I still have the stock shocks cuz I bounce all over the place. So Tont at Cerrones, Mike?

Old 03-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

It is time for you to start reading, here is a great link, click on the coli and read it all,
https://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/
Which ever way you go, buy the HD shocks, not the light ones and don't go less the the medium coils.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the link, Mike. My rover is listing (just learned this term from the link) on the right, Will I need a trim packer/spring isolater or will the new coils/shocks level her out? Also, is that a good price on the link-$672 for a full set of coils and shocks-or would it behoove me to call your friend?

Old 03-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Usually not, replacing the springs usually corrects any leaning.